Moving from sloop to cutter

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David Morton

Moving from sloop to cutter

Post by David Morton »

As I try to acclimate myself to my new CD31, I was wondering if any of you who have experience moving from sloop to cutter rigs might have some hints (i.e. technical, trimming, sail configuration on the various points of sail) that might make the transition a little easier. In addition, I'll be moving from tiller to wheel, as well, so any feelings about that are also welcomed.

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Paul D.

Re: Moving from sloop to cutter

Post by Paul D. »

Congratulations David,

I have sailed an old cutter - an Atkins Ingrid - and found there are really limitless methods and tweaks you can do with them. I kind of miss that on our 33 which is rigged as a sloop. Only thing I would recommend is go out and purposely sail and try as many different combinations as you can on as many points of sail.

If you get a good day of wind for example you could work on upwind points of sail and try unfurling your main, then staysail then yankee. Find a good balance point and the best angle to the apparent wind that keeps her speed up while pointing high. May not be as high as a sloop but I would find that out. A good thing to consider is keeping the leech curves of both headsails kind of in line, curving about the same and making a fair slot.

Then you can try downwind combinations. Using the wheel too will take a little getting used to. Again, I would go out under power and see how fast and how tight she comes around, imagine it in boat lengths so you have an idea when you're in the marinas with a foul wind! One idea might be to do the exercise of swinging the compass (like described in the Annapolis Book of Seamanship) or at least pick an area and course to swing your compass. Sail it over and over again without trying to actually swing the compass. It would be great practice getting you used to your wheel and sail combinations and how she handles. Then when you actually go to swing your compass you'll have done all that and focus on getting the compass adjustments right.

Good luck and have fun!
Paul
CDSOA Member
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Your new CD31 has a furling staysail and headsail so you have limitless possibilities. With your headsail furled you have a self tending rig which is an easy way to enter or leave a mooring field since you have all of the maneuverability without having to tend a headsail sheet. The sequence at which you decide to reduce sail will be a matter of what you are comfortable with, sea conditions, how far you have to travel, whether the wind speed is still rising, and perhaps if you need the most weatherly sail combination, i.e. If you are trying to point up to your best advantage. A cutter really does its best with both headsails, weather permitting, as the slot effect is advantageous.
As wind speed rises I have found it expedient to initially take a couple rolls on my headsail and see if the wind will stay steady. If it continues to rise I put a reef in the main and usually unroll the headsail. If the wind continues to rise I drop my staysail before things get too hairy on the foredeck. From that point I'd put the second reef in and continue to furl the headsail as needed. Beyond that point you are in a real storm condition and everything will depend on sea condition and proximity to land.
If you have more than one headsail you have further possibilities. I tend to start the season with my yankee due to stronger winds in the spring, change from my yankee to a 125% for July and August, and back to the yankee for the remainder of the season. I also have a 135% but I've only used it a couple times. It's very low cut and makes a great light air sail but visibility is severely restricted. I used to keep a spare headsail on the boat but I do not any longer as it went unused.
As far as wheel vs tiller I'll defer to everyone's personal preference. I prefer a wheel on anything 30 feet or longer. I also prefer to lock my prop :wink:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Paul, thanks for that great advice. Sea trial on wednesday and I will try some of the maneuvers you suggest.

Jim, very helpful in envisioning the transition from light to heavier air. I was surprised that in a blow you would prefer to douse the staysail and stick with the reefed headsail. I had imagined doing the opposite, relying on the staysail and the reefed main heading up. But I would think that the staysail would be pretty useless downwind, so I suppose it depends on your point of sail, as well.
On my 25D here in Maine, I also have learned to start the season with my jib in the spring, rather than spending several weeks with a partially furled 150. The jib also went back on in Sept. The smaller sail is easier to manage, and I haven't really noticed any decrease in speed with these 20kt gusty fall winds.
I can see that this staysail will add a whole new set of options.

So much new stuff to play with! Too bad it's the end of the season. So many sails, so little time!

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

David:

I tend to second everything Jim pointed out, especially if I am single handing. If, on the other hand, I am sailing with my wife, who is reasonably comfortable on deck in heavier conditions (or at least a semi-willing participant) I opt to go with the staysail at 20 knots or beyond, and furl the yankee.

Have fun with it, and take advantage of the options you have with the cutter rig.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

The reason I douse the staysail is because it is hanked on and I have to go to the foredeck to drop and secure it. Your pointing ability is also less with the staysail and the sail is closer to the water thus restricting visibility and catching spray. With the roller furling headsail my pointing ability is enhanced and with the clew being much higher off the deck I am less likely to catch heavy spray. Visibility is also unrestricted. Since I singlehand 99% of the time I try to limit visits to the foredeck when it gets sloppy out.
That being said in the spring and late fall if the breeze is kicking up and I'm only sailing in local waters for the sheer joy of it I'll sail around with the main and staysail only so I can take advantage of the self tending rig, no need to tend sheets when tacking. It's always fun when the wind really pipes up and you have no destination or tides to concern yourself with. Flying along at hull speed with the simplicity of a self tending rig and no destination is as good as it gets.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

I am now sailing an Allied Princess 36 rigged as a cutter (no mizzen). When the wind is over about 16 I like to put the second reef in my main, full staysail, and full yankee, then if things pick up I start with furling the yankee. It balances very nicely that way and the boat moves. Of course, I have main that is not real high but with a very long boom, so with full main the boat develops a lot of weather helm. I usually douse the yankee first, then take care of the staysail when I come into protected waters.
Ron Churgin