Robinhood Marina

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bristol14

Robinhood Marina

Post by Bristol14 »

I had the opportunity to visit Robinhood Cove and Marina this weekend as part of a 9 day cruise from Buzzards Bay. While it wasn't via a Cape Dory (it was on my friend's 46ft Beneteau-a luxury yacht compared to my Typhoon), it was a nice overnight in the Cove. The cove is very picturesque, though the approach from the Sheepscot River was challenging with strong currents, eddy's and whirlpools throughout.

Stopped in at Spartan Marine which is located at the Marina and had a nice discussion with the gentleman that handles the machine shop. Everything is machined on site and the castings come from a foundry in MA.

The Marina has a decent restaurant and even loaner cars for provisioning (they also have a "loaner" Typhoon Daysailer). About 3 miles up the road, there's a farm stand with fresh produce, cheese, etc.

While a bit off the beaten track, it's well worth the trip.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (976.23 KiB) Viewed 856 times
chomeur

Re: Robinhood Marina

Post by chomeur »

Welcome to Robinhood (I have a house just down the street from the Marina, so you're talking about my neighborhood).

One thing you didn't mention is that the marina is owned and operated by Andy Vavolotis, the builder of Cape Dory boats. He's moved on to other things, obviously, but if you run into him he knows a thing or two about the history of Cape Dory :-)

By the way, he's still building (one of a kind) boats, maybe one or two a year. Most recently, he's been building house boats (three so far) which he rents out to people who want to get on the water but haven't bought a boat yet.

Robinhood Marina has lots going on for cruisers: Friday afternoon live music, a farm boat on Wednesday morning that sells fresh vegetables and pastries, a decent restaurant with spectacular water views, and (until just this year) a lecture series on nautical and local history topics.

If you haven't visited Robinhood Marina, stop by some time. You may well pass me running the tide through Goose Rock Passage in my Typhoon.

David
Chomeur: 1975 Cape Dory Typhoon #1037
Robinhood, Georgetown Island, Maine
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

In August 2007 I was fortunate to be invited as crew aboard a Cape Dory 36 then moored at Robinhood Marina. I was there two (2) days. One day on the front end of the Maine cruise and one day on the back end of the cruise. If I recall correctly we had a terrific post-cruise dinner at a restaurant on or near the premises.

I fell in love with Robinhood Marina. It is everything one thinks of when dreaming of a quiet seaside marina run by genuinely nice people.

I made a promise to myself. If I ever could afford it (only chance is win a lottery) I would definitely move to the area around Robinhood Marina. I would have to buy a larger Cape Dory or at least one with a more powerful diesel. I do not remember the details (it was 7 years ago) but I was told entering and exiting the mooring field can be very difficult if not impossible if you catch the wrong tide flow and have an anemic diesel.

Thanks for the photo :!: Brought back wonderful memories.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim1945
Location: 1977 CDTy Weekender #1423, Toledo, Ohio. Sailing Lake Erie, CDSOA #1651

Post by Jim1945 »

I was just there today at Robinhood. Exactly as said above, a marina you wished you had for your boat. Walked the docks and was impressed at how all the boats were maintained. Obviously the sailors there love their boats. Had lunch at the Osprey restaurant where Jessica gave us a lot of info about the goings-on of the marina and some history. Was a good little visit.