CD33 - Cutter or sloop?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jdurant

CD33 - Cutter or sloop?

Post by Jdurant »

Hi All,

Brand new to the board, thank you for having me! Looking at purchasing the 1981 CD33 pictured below. Broker stated it's a sloop but to me it looks cutter rigged. Which is the case?

PS: Been lurking here for a bit --great community you have here.
Ed Haley

Re: CD33 - Cutter or sloop?

Post by Ed Haley »

This CD33 is a double-headed sloop with a yankee and a staysail. Cutter-rigged vessels have their main mast exactly in the middle of the length of the boat. Sloops have their masts more forward.

Sailed this way has its advantages. I had a CD330 and loved the way she handled with a yankee by itself or with the staysail rigged. Nice boat.
Jdurant

Post by Jdurant »

Thank you Ed. Also dug around pretty far back in time and see the topic has been discussed much in the past.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

This is I think a double headsail - rigged sloop as mentioned. The mast is in the same position as our CD 33 sloop only one year newer. And I haven't seen a non factory 33 rigged as a cutter but I know it was offered as both. The CD330's have a very short bowsprit and bobstay supporting the headsail stay. I would check to see if what you have pictured was the arrangement CD used for the CD33 cutter (Not CD330) or if it was an owner installed staysail stay. Try Dave Perry at Robinhood marine and show him the picture.

I would check if the boat has aft lowers coming down from the same spot on the mast where the staysail stay is fixed. Also, I would check if the sail on the forestay is indeed a yankee or a genoa. If the latter, then it may be good to have a quick release set up for the staysail stay, then the genny will tack more easily. If it is not a factory cutter model, I would also double check the reinforcement under the staysail stay pad eye. What is below the deck supporting the load?

Looks like a nice, original boat there. We've had our 33 12 years now. Bill Gates couldn't buy it from me.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Jdurant

Post by Jdurant »

Hi Paul,

Thank you and will check those. I did notice while inspecting the boat it did have a quick release on the inner stay. Nice to hear about your affinity for the boat. This one I'm considering is in nice shape, but needs some things, such as new sails. I'll probably be posting here frequently if I close the deal. ($30K range)
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

Is this Leo's old boat?
i knew he re-rigged her.
Russell

Post by Russell »

That looks like an owner addition and the boat is indeed a sloop. That "inner" forestay is more like a baby stay, its awfully far back and I cannot imagine what its attached to as I dont think there would be a bulkhead right there. Its lacking aft intermediates or running backs to counter it as well.

Given its location and how small it is, its only real use would be for a storm jib, not a staysail. And if you plan to use it in heavy weather I hope its attachment point is not just bolted thru deck and it certainly needs aft stays to keep the mast from pumping itsself to death.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

Russell,
You hit the nail on the head!
How have u been? Where are you lying?
hope things are going well.
Leaving the dock here in Lake Ontario tomorrow for the Bahamas.
Keep it upright,
Rit
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Interesting that there is no anchor locker. That (at least from what I saw while shopping for our 33) was omitted on the cutters like the 330 but there on the sloops. Also, the main sheet is in the cockpit like the sloop as opposed to on the cabin top. Just out of curiosity, what is the cabin layout?
Jdurant

Post by Jdurant »

Hi All, here's the listing: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981/Ca ... CLhv2SwIkg

Still in contemplation phase... :)
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

That isn't Leo's. boat.
valenteach

Post by valenteach »

That boat appears identical to my '80 CD33 sloop (minus the removable stay), right down to the funky plaid patterned cushions, but the original purchaser must have opted for a windlass from the dealer/factory instead of an anchor locker?....unless the locker was removed later?

-Mike
80 CD33 Sanderling
Rhode Island