Typhoon Weekender leaking

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Typhoon Weekender leaking

Post by Oswego John »

Dan,

100% jib.

I never got my jollies from sail boat racing. I am the poster child for passive, no hassle, lazy, day- trip cruising. I can control everything from the cockpit.

The jib has no boom. I can tack by easing off the working jib sheet and hauling in and securing the lazy sheet.

Enjoyable boating laziness personified 99% of the time. I can attest to one white knuckle sail when my lee water line was almost completely under. The 10-12 mph wind was screeching through the rigging and, believe it or not, the GPS soared to 4.75 MPH. Whew.

My boating requirements spell out KISS. That's me. That's who I am.

OJ
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
sonofasailor

Post by sonofasailor »

Oswego John wrote:Dan,

100% jib.

I never got my jollies from sail boat racing. I am the poster child for passive, no hassle, lazy, day- trip cruising. I can control everything from the cockpit.

The jib has no boom. I can tack by easing off the working jib sheet and hauling in and securing the lazy sheet.

Enjoyable boating laziness personified 99% of the time. I can attest to one white knuckle sail when my lee water line was almost completely under. The 10-12 mph wind was screeching through the rigging and, believe it or not, the GPS soared to 4.75 MPH. Whew.

My boating requirements spell out KISS. That's me. That's who I am.

OJ
OJ......thank you for your KISS experience. Wow 4.75 in 12 MPH winds with a 100 jib. Not bad. Do you use the block, winch and cleat or cabin top track?

Dan
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

"OJ......thank you for your KISS experience. Wow 4.75 in 12 MPH winds with a 100 jib. Not bad. Do you use the block, winch and cleat or cabin top track?"

Dan,

My two Typhoon Week Enders are early vintage. Actually, they are not Cape Dorys. They were built by Naugus Fiberglass Industries of Salem, Ma. in the mid 1960s. Shortly after that, Cape Dory bought out the business from Naugus and expanded the model numbers.

The original concept and design of the Ty resulted is an easily handled, well balanced, fun sloop. There is no need for super physical strength to sail a Ty. I taught my elementary school aged granddaughters to sail in my 1st Ty. (I've had several of them since then).

The original Tys have keel stepped masts. They had no blocks or winches for the working jib. No need for one. the working jib sheet passed inside of the shrouds. It was adjusted and secured with one wrap and one quick release, slippery, figure eight overlay on a horn cleat attached to the side of each coaming. A seventy pound girl could adjust the jib.

There was a set of blocks on the aft end of the main sail boom. Depending on how you felt, the mechanical advantage could be set up for either 3:1 or 4:1. Mine was originally 3:1 and to this day, I have never changed it.

The two Tys I have left are strictly stock as they came out of the Naugus factory with one exception. Many years ago I added a cam cleat on one of them for some reason which I can't remember why. The basic Ty is a beautifully designed smaller boat to have fun with. My personal feeling is that there is no need to spend mega bucks on gimmicks and nautical add ons to substitute for seat of your pants sailing.

Now, of course, as the size of the ship increases, nautical aides are necessities. Absolutely no question about it.

Have fun. BTW, last night the temp. was +39 F. :cry:

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
sonofasailor

Post by sonofasailor »

Oswego John wrote:"OJ......thank you for your KISS experience. Wow 4.75 in 12 MPH winds with a 100 jib. Not bad. Do you use the block, winch and cleat or cabin top track?"

Dan,

My two Typhoon Week Enders are early vintage. Actually, they are not Cape Dorys. They were built by Naugus Fiberglass Industries of Salem, Ma. in the mid 1960s. Shortly after that, Cape Dory bought out the business from Naugus and expanded the model numbers.

The original concept and design of the Ty resulted is an easily handled, well balanced, fun sloop. There is no need for super physical strength to sail a Ty. I taught my elementary school aged granddaughters to sail in my 1st Ty. (I've had several of them since then).

The original Tys have keel stepped masts. They had no blocks or winches for the working jib. No need for one. the working jib sheet passed inside of the shrouds. It was adjusted and secured with one wrap and one quick release, slippery, figure eight overlay on a horn cleat attached to the side of each coaming. A seventy pound girl could adjust the jib.

There was a set of blocks on the aft end of the main sail boom. Depending on how you felt, the mechanical advantage could be set up for either 3:1 or 4:1. Mine was originally 3:1 and to this day, I have never changed it.

The two Tys I have left are strictly stock as they came out of the Naugus factory with one exception. Many years ago I added a cam cleat on one of them for some reason which I can't remember why. The basic Ty is a beautifully designed smaller boat to have fun with. My personal feeling is that there is no need to spend mega bucks on gimmicks and nautical add ons to substitute for seat of your pants sailing.

Now, of course, as the size of the ship increases, nautical aides are necessities. Absolutely no question about it.

Have fun. BTW, last night the temp. was +39 F. :cry:

O J
OJ....thanks......I love the attitude. That is how sailing should be. KISS.... I went to the International Newport Boat Show and there are gadgets everywhere. I thought how I could use each one. Then came your response. You know what I don't need that stuff.

Here in NH it was not much warmer. 40 degrees. Where did the summer go....?

Dan
rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

Post by rjnale »

New member here and new owner of a 1976 Typhoon Weekender.
We launched the boat Labor day weekend to squeak in some Fall sailing here in Central NY. Will be doing some restore work next spring before launch.
When inspecting the hull before purchase noticed I noticed 2 very minor "fractures" next to each other below waterline and accessible through the opening panels in the v berth. So if repair is needed, it would be easy to get too. So after launch first mission to examine entire dry bilge and interior hull for leaks. Well both fractures seeped a tiny drips of water that ran down the hull hit the forward area of keel and collected into a little puddle in couple hours. 2 weeks in the seeped has slowed down to a couple drops that cling to the fracture area and dry up before it has a chance to run. Is it possible for the fiberglass to swell and slow the leak similar to wood?
Also have found rain runs in around the rudder post and the oval wooden trim piece in the cockpit and runs to bilge. Easy temporary fix using plumbers putty which is easy to remove when I remove the trim pieced to refinish in the spring.
Love this site and my Typhoon, Carl Alberg rocks!
sonofasailor

Post by sonofasailor »

rjnale wrote:New member here and new owner of a 1976 Typhoon Weekender.
We launched the boat Labor day weekend to squeak in some Fall sailing here in Central NY. Will be doing some restore work next spring before launch.
When inspecting the hull before purchase noticed I noticed 2 very minor "fractures" next to each other below waterline and accessible through the opening panels in the v berth. So if repair is needed, it would be easy to get too. So after launch first mission to examine entire dry bilge and interior hull for leaks. Well both fractures seeped a tiny drips of water that ran down the hull hit the forward area of keel and collected into a little puddle in couple hours. 2 weeks in the seeped has slowed down to a couple drops that cling to the fracture area and dry up before it has a chance to run. Is it possible for the fiberglass to swell and slow the leak similar to wood?
Also have found rain runs in around the rudder post and the oval wooden trim piece in the cockpit and runs to bilge. Easy temporary fix using plumbers putty which is easy to remove when I remove the trim pieced to refinish in the spring.
Love this site and my Typhoon, Carl Alberg rocks!
Rjnale.....Congratulations on becoming a Typhoon Weekender owner. Sweet boat Carl designed. My 1977 Typhoon Weekender has been totally restored. It looks better than new. I had a professional restore the hull. He found blisters in the gelcoat and did a great deal of sanding and fairing. The hull is like new now. That is why our leak is such a mystery. The leak has stopped over the last week. It becomes even more of a mystery. What would swell to stop the leak. I won't think fiberglass would swell. It must becoming in around the rudder shaft, but just don't know. Enjoy your Cape Dory Typhoon.

Fair Winds and happy sailing
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Dan, you and your mystery is mysterious. However, I've also noticed on my Ty that at times under sail heeled over, the water does tend to find its way through the toe and rub rail vicinities where some of my screws may have lost their tenacity. Not that much, but in stiff winds I push the Ty and the water finds ways to get aboard.

As for the rudder shaft, yes indeed caulk under that wood piece well. As for the rest of the shaft no problem.

Agree with John, forget the snappy stuff, stick with period devices on your Ty. If you want a brand new J boat, or something sexy to flaunt, then go spend incredible dollars and enjoy it. The Typhoon is a piece of sailing history and Baggy Wrinkles never fails to draw attention to herself under sail or at the docks. People are drawn to its simplicity and classic lines.

Hope you find that leak!
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Skeep wrote:The Typhoon is a piece of sailing history and Baggy Wrinkles never fails to draw attention to herself under sail or at the docks. People are drawn to its simplicity and classic lines.
I do love it when people ask, "Is that a Cape Dory?" I suppose I can name a dozen brands where similar questions are never asked.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Neil, and I also hear, "...I've always wanted to own one..."
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Mygigi

Typhoon Weekender leaking after rain

Post by Mygigi »

New 1974 Typhoon Weekend owner. Bought one on trailer, pumped probably 1,000 pounds of water out before moving it home for restoring. All teak redone, but after a rain, water accumulated in bilge in area that has a small “dam” and I can not figure out the source of the leak - cockpit seats, teak finish piece on tiller, no luck yet. Trying to get boat ready for Oct Regatta but have to solve leak first. Two deck cockpit drains do not appear to be leaking even with corroded valves and probably fairly old hoses. Two thru hull valves in cabin also ancient but tight.

Also - any must do work advice before launch?

Thanks

John