What do you use for head sail on your Typhoon Weekender Why?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sonofasailor

What do you use for head sail on your Typhoon Weekender Why?

Post by sonofasailor »

Looking to replace my headsail on my typhoon Weekender. Some articles or posts I have read like the 150 0ver the 130 headsail. What has been your experience been with 130 and 150? Is there any need to go to a 170. I would feel this confirmation would over power the jib.

Dan
Steve Laume

Re: What do you use for head sail on your Typhoon Weekender

Post by Steve Laume »

Were you sail might make a difference. Will this be your only head sail, on a roller furler? What might be great for Long Island Sound, might not be ideal for San Fransisco Bay.

When I was sailing the Ty on Fishers Island and Block Island Sounds we had hank on jibs in three sizes; 110, 135 and 165. There were days when we could run down and pass much bigger boats with that 165 while they were tugging at strings and trying to look like they didn't care. Other days the working sails were perfect. On one day we went out around Fishers with reefed main and working jib, only to dowse the main and fly around the outside of the island under the jib alone. I really liked the hank on sails for the Typhoon. They were small and easy to change, always having the proper shape in each size selected.

If your sail is on a roller furler then it will be a compromise and I would not start out too big. The 135 would be about as big as I would go so you had some light air performance but could still retain a decent shape when the sail was rolled up a bit.

I know there are some threads on this topic, here is you go into the search mode, Steve.