CD 36 Stern Tubb/Stuffing Box Service Info Needed

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Larry McAnally

CD 36 Stern Tubb/Stuffing Box Service Info Needed

Post by Larry McAnally »

I need to service the cutless bearing on my 1990 CD36. Would like to replace the shaft and hose as well while I am at it. I have the "vanashing" hose refered to on previous posts, with clamps which can not be seen or accesed. I have read much of the info in the archives and am hoping that there may be more recent knowledge avaliable for this challenging issue.
Any information would be greatly appreciated as I have serious concern re. this project.

Larry McAnally
Central Gulf Fleet
Destin, Fl
Larry McAnally
CD36 CHANTY
CD27 WINDCHASER
Past Fleet Captain Central Gulf Fleet
Russell

Re: CD 36 Stern Tubb/Stuffing Box Service Info Needed

Post by Russell »

You have to remove the stern tube to access the clamps and replace the hose. Its a a terrible setup. You might consider since you are removing it anyway to replace the whole thing while you are at it. I am much happier with my current setup of a fibreglass stern tube and PSS shaft seal.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Larry McAnally

Post by Larry McAnally »

Russell,
Thank you for your reply and info. I would very much like to consider redoing the setup as you say. The challenge is the space. You must have encountered the same.
My main objective is to make it servicable. Dripless would be a bonus if it fits and is reliable. Why did you deside on a fiberglass tube? Any info on your setup would be helpful. Pictures would be awesome. If you have any of this posted I can look for it if you might direct me to it.
Thank you.
Larry
Larry McAnally
CD36 CHANTY
CD27 WINDCHASER
Russell

Post by Russell »

THe decision for fiberglass was cost and convenience, you can buy premade glass stern tubes and install them reletively easy. I had room for a PSS, but only barely (the stainless ring at the very front of the PSS actually touches the back of the coupling, there is zero space left, I cant even see any shaft inside the boat). But I repowered at the same time, the new engine I think freed up a couple extra inches compared to the old perkins.

Before I repowered, I did have to replace the stuffing box tube, while in Grenada, no one on the island had the ability to put on new clamps of the style needed in the origonal setup. So I took the existing bronze stern tube somewhere (a scrap yard that was also a machine shop and welder) and had an addition length of bronze pipe brazed onto it, lengthening it by a couple inches so I could use traditional hose clamps that were actually reachable. But I was always a little uneasy with this, (third world materials and workmanship on a part essential to keeping the boat afloat).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
K Chiswell

Post by K Chiswell »

I recently had my bronze stern tube lengthened. We turned down the original tube just to make sure it was true. Made an extension with .002" interference and pressed it together. I'm pretty comfortable with the modification.
Larry McAnally

Post by Larry McAnally »

Thank you for your inputs. With your information and info from Troy I will haul soon and plan to redo the shaft and replace the bearing. My shaft ie original bronze. Have not decided on dripless. Will depend on space. Also wondering on where you connest for input water.
Will also likely replace the prop. Will let you know how it things go.
Thanks agin for your info.
Larry
Larry McAnally
CD36 CHANTY
CD27 WINDCHASER