Time to think about our seacocks

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

oldragbaggers

Re: Time to think about our seacocks

Post by oldragbaggers »

Thank you very much, Steve. We will sure pick some Kroil up. We have also had PB Blaster recommended to us. Is it the same type stuff or two different products??
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Kroil is different than PB, I would say more effective overall. PB works well too. Just apply some daily or twice daily for a few days, let it soak in good, then use force judiciously to free up the seacock. I had to whack one of mine with a rubber mallet quite persuasively to get it to crack loose.
SV Tatyana

Post by SV Tatyana »

Have you tried removing the locking nuts? After I did this I was able to just tap it right out on ours.

-Richard
oldragbaggers

Post by oldragbaggers »

A full day of work and Lance managed to get three of the six disassembled. Despite the success the day was not without it's frustrations. I was not really involved in the job, but here is what I know.

Drain plugs broke on two of them. Wood mounting pads have to be replaced under two of them. One destroyed flange nut. One bent handle. Bolts had to be cut off of one to remove it (because wood pad under it needs to be replaced).

I have to say that my husband is just about the most tenacious person I know and more patient than I ever would have been. He will get them all done but I think it's going to involve a fair number of replaced parts and a lot more time.
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

At some point, just cutting it out and replacing with new is a good idea. A Sawzall with a long metal cutting blade can cut the bolts off quickly, and even saw through the wood base and threaded flange.

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... it=seacock

As for the bases, I used MaineSail's concept for fiberglass pads, but save a dime or two by cutting circles of fiberglass and building a round pad on waxed aluminum. (You can ever curve the aluminum to match the hull curve and save some grinding- build the top level for the seacock. I think about 20 layers gave a 5/8" pad.
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Lance and Becky… Here's what I did to all my 6y seacocks. Two of them, frozen, all backing plates badly disintegrated in need of replacements… My mechanic and I removed all of them -KEEP THEM SEPARATE within their own group- With marine plywood we created new ones using the old ones as templates, carefully marking which was where… I traced the outlines of each one on a 4 x 4 ft. of marine plywood and took it to a carpenter shop who cut them to match. We epoxied the bottom side of each, when dried, we varnished all the rest with several coats of varnish. We cleaned up every thru hull then, making sure the holes in the hull were good before reinstalling them. To do that, we used Boatlife polysulfide as a bonding material everywhere, inside and out. Used On-Off -a mild acid- and bronze scouring pads to really clean the bronze pieces and Morey's Red Grease as a final sealer. Pictures follow. Every haul-out, I service them, removing the drums, cleaning well, regreasing and reinstalling. They are still in excellent shape. At least, you can see how it worked out.

[imgImage
All six in their separate groups, cleaned up ready to be reinstalled.

[imgImage

[imgImage

[imgImage
making the new backing plates of thick marine plywood.

[imgImage
epoxy on the bottom side and several coats of varnish on the rest…

[imgImage

[imgImage
galley seacock back on…

[imgImage
port locker seacock back on

[imgImage
Stbd. seacock in front of fuel tank back on..

[imgImage
Raw water by engine getting reinstalled… no hose yet..

[imgImage
Head seacock back on...
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Zeida:

Those are some really impressive photos.

Remember our deal. In a few days (when the weather is not so oppressively hot) you are going to give me some "on scene" advise on cleaning my seacocks. In exchange I agreed to buy you one cup of Italian espresso :!: :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Sea Hunt… the deal was a couple of Miller Lights…NOT coffee!.. Talk to you very soon.

z
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Zeida wrote:Sea Hunt… the deal was a couple of Miller Lights…NOT coffee!.. Talk to you very soon.

z
Zeida,

It's no great secret that in exchange for some very light lifting, I got a bottle of single malt scotch. I'd hold out for more than a couple of Miller Lights.

Robert,

Your life, and the lives of your passengers and crew, depend on your seacocks functioning as designed. That's got to be worth at least a six pack.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698