CD30 Jiffy Reefing Line question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MarcMcCarron

CD30 Jiffy Reefing Line question

Post by MarcMcCarron »

CD30 Jiffy Reefing Line question….. I goofed and discarded the old lines….
Can someone help me out with line diameter for jiffy reefing …. length would be wonderful also but
I can figure that with stunt double twine. Main Sale …. two reef points.
MARC MCCARRON
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: CD30 Jiffy Reefing Line question

Post by Neil Gordon »

MarcMcCarron wrote:CD30 Jiffy Reefing Line question….. I goofed and discarded the old lines….
Can someone help me out with line diameter for jiffy reefing …. length would be wonderful also but
I can figure that with stunt double twine. Main Sale …. two reef points.
3/8 or 5/16 is what I find bandied about via a Google search.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Re: CD30 Jiffy Reefing Line question

Post by Steve Laume »

I used 5/16 for the clew. It is a good practice to run another line through the clew and around the boom, just in case, but I don't generally do this. I used 7/16 for the tack line, because I happened to have it laying around. The tack line is much shorter, so wind resistance is not a major factor. I leave the the tack line in the first reef cringle with a long tail. If I need a second reef, I thread the line through the second cringle and bring it back to a cleat I added on the other side of the mast. As for the length, you would be best off with your stunt double. Every boat will have a slightly different set up and the reef points could be located at various heights on any given sail.

May your winds be strong enough to need to first, Steve.