Universal Diesel Oil Pan Corrosion

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

oldragbaggers

Universal Diesel Oil Pan Corrosion

Post by oldragbaggers »

The engine has been pulled from our CD-33 and the verdict is in. (Details about our "new to us" 33 and the engine situation at http://www.oldragbaggers.com/sv-sojourn ... s-the-one/) The mechanic says it started and sounds like a strong, healthy engine. That's the good news. The raw water pump is leaking. That's no big surprise. If we're understanding correctly what he said, the problem with the massive oil leak into the bilge is that the plug in the oil pan is made of dissimilar metals and corroded completely through, allowing all the oil to leak out. In addition he said the timing cover is also dissimilar metal and is corroding.

Mind you, we're not complaining. This little engine problem got us our dream boat for an amazing price. Just wondering.....anyone else??
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
Jim Walsh

Re: Universal Diesel Oil Pan Corrosion

Post by Jim Walsh »

What is the specific model? Not all boats built in 82 have their original engine. If it is the original I'd just replace it with original equipment and be done with it. Same goes for the timing belt cover and the water pump. Don't forget to check eBay and Amazon for parts, especially the water pump. They vary greatly in price for the same items.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Congratulations on finding such a bargain on your new boat. If I was ever to move up from Raven the CD-33 would be on my short list.

I had the Universal 20 out of Raven a few years back. It had no oil leaks but I was concerned about the fact that it was hard to paint the oil pan in place. I was worried that it might leak at some point in the future when it would be much harder to deal with. I decided a new pan and gasket along with main seals would be good preventative maintenance.

Universal wanted $240.00 for the pan and $70.00 for the gasket. I took the engine down to my Kabota tractor dealer; he checked the serial number and declared it to be a Kabota 600 block. We then ordered up a new pan for $70,00 and the gasket of $15.00. These are the exact same parts. I also got the main seals from them. My old pan didn't look so bad and I am not sure if I would have replaced it for over $300.00 but it was a pretty easy choice for under $100.00.

My point is to find the serial number on the engine and head straight to your local Kabota dealer for your parts at a fraction of the price you would pay through Universal, Steve.
oldragbaggers

Post by oldragbaggers »

Steve Laume wrote:Congratulations on finding such a bargain on your new boat. If I was ever to move up from Raven the CD-33 would be on my short list.

I had the Universal 20 out of Raven a few years back. It had no oil leaks but I was concerned about the fact that it was hard to paint the oil pan in place. I was worried that it might leak at some point in the future when it would be much harder to deal with. I decided a new pan and gasket along with main seals would be good preventative maintenance.

Universal wanted $240.00 for the pan and $70.00 for the gasket. I took the engine down to my Kabota tractor dealer; he checked the serial number and declared it to be a Kabota 600 block. We then ordered up a new pan for $70,00 and the gasket of $15.00. These are the exact same parts. I also got the main seals from them. My old pan didn't look so bad and I am not sure if I would have replaced it for over $300.00 but it was a pretty easy choice for under $100.00.

My point is to find the serial number on the engine and head straight to your local Kabota dealer for your parts at a fraction of the price you would pay through Universal, Steve.
Thank you so much for this heads up. Our repair is being done by the boatyard so not sure they would work with us on this but it's worth an ask. But if they don't, they are currently storing the boat for free and giving us an amazing deal on our winter storage because they are doing the engine work so if we end up paying the full price for Universal parts it will still be a deal.
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers