Engine / Transmission / Prop Survey CD36 or Robinhood 36

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bottomscraper

Engine / Transmission / Prop Survey CD36 or Robinhood 36

Post by bottomscraper »

The original CD36's had Perkins 4-108's with either Hurth HB100 or HB150's. I know a few of you have repowered. What have you used?

I believe most of the Robinhood 36's have Yanmars please share details!

What engine do you have? What transmission., gear ratio and prop?

Thanks!

Rich
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
bottomscraper

Re: Engine / Transmission / Prop Survey CD36 or Robinhood 3

Post by bottomscraper »

Bump! Anybody?

I got one reply from a Robinhood owner Yanmar 3 cylinder 3JH with KM35A and 3 blade prop.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Southern Maine
Russell

Post by Russell »

I put in a Volvo D2-40, mainly because its a 4 cylinder rather then a 3 cylinder (Yanmar is 3).

I only gave myself the options of Volvo or Yanmar when I repowered, since I spend a lot of time in other countries where those are the only easily obtainable parts. If I was staying in the states I would give serious consideration to a Beta 35, I think the 40 HP of my Volvo is more then the CD36 needs, but both Yanmar and Volvo the next size down is 30 which would be too small. The Beta 35 is probably perfect, and it is also a 4 cylinder, so will run smoother and quieter then the Yanmars 3 cylinders.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Russell

Post by Russell »

Also, if doing it again today, I would give serious consideration to an entirely different setup. With LiFePO4 batteries becoming a real option, I would consider an electric drive running off of a large LiFePO4 battery bank and a small DC genset.
Russell
K Chiswell

Post by K Chiswell »

When I decided to rebuild my engine bed I considered repowering, but my Universal was running well and didn't have that many hours on it. While doing research I looked into electric propulsion and am pretty sure that is what I will do when I repower. There are a couple companies that sell a diesel genset sized to there electric motor and sold as a package. I believe the genset spec for my boat was 11 or 13 hp, a little less than half what I would need for a straight diesel. The added benefit is it would be much better than even the best alternators at meeting our electrical needs. My only concern is where to mount the genset, but I will figure that out when I'm ready. It will be a couple years before I know how it works.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Russell,

Thanks for the reply. I actually knew about your Volvo D2-40. IIRC you did not use an angled transmission but you did change the angle of the stern tube and set the forward end of the engine lower. Do you still have a 15" prop or were you able to go with something larger in diameter?

I found one reference here on the board to someone putting a 4 cylinder Yanmar in a CD36 but no followup, I wonder if that ever happened.

Our Perkins has a down angle of about 15.5 degrees which makes me think an angled transmission would be a better match.

The Beta 35/38 sure looks attractive. (This is the same block used in my Kubota tractor, runs nice and leaks no oil.)

I'm a bit reluctant to be on the bleeding edge with electric drive.

Thanks

Rich
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Southern Maine
Russell

Post by Russell »

Yes, its the strait angle transmission, the engine is set a bit lower then the old perkins as well and the stern tube was indeed changed. I think changing the stern tube angle is a smart way to go as it opens up your mounting possabilities much more. Between the smaller block size and being set lower, I can now reach and service the stuff behind the engine by going over the engine from the front, rather then crawl into that cramped space via the locker, its a big maintence improvement. The prop is I think 1" larger then the old prop was, but the boat was overpropped after the repower, 2 years ago when I hauled in Deltaville I sent it off to reduce the blade size but keep the diameter and it was a big improvement (I couldnt get the boat to spec RPM before due to over propping).
Russell
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

Rich, the Beta 35 and 38 may be ordered with a TMC60A 7*down angle transmission as a standard option. 2:1 or 2.45:1 gear ratios.
Parts and service are readily available through Beta's worldwide network of distributors and dealers, parts are also available at the many Kubota tractor dealers. Filters and such you can get from NAPA parts stores.
Ben
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Rich:

We have the Yanmar 3JH2E and a three blade prop.
18 seasons now and no failures, just regular maintenance.
It was equipped with a "B" panel with idiot lights and a tach.
So no hour meter. I estimate we do around 200 hours a year so, 3600 hours so far.
I have replaced the motor mounts and exhaust elbow too.
2 cutlass bearings as well: once for wear and once after Sandy smacked us. Another story.
I agree with Russell that a 4 cylinder would be smoother but the 3JH2E has its smooth rpms.
The Transmission is a Kanzaki model KM3A, it uses regular engine oil, sae HD 20/30 and has been trouble free.

I just had DePaul service her at Newport Shipyard. The Spa.
I had them:

Replaced engine oil
Replaced Fuel Filters
Replaced belts
Drained and replace coolant with the long life stuff
Replaced the impeller
Replaced transmission oil
Checked and adjust valves if required
Checked engine alignment

She's purring like a kitten:

Dalton