Stands

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Adrift54

Stands

Post by Adrift54 »

I am going to purchase storage stands for my Typhoon and am wondering how many and what size is correct. I was thinking four would be enough, so I'd be able to avoid a fifth one at the bow. Thank you.
Steve Laume

Re: Stands

Post by Steve Laume »

You need something at the bow.

The tipping point for the boat is far enough forward that the the keel block doesn't do much to counter the tendency to roll onto it's nose. You could place the stands as far forward as possible but it would put a lot of pressure on them if you were to walk to the bow. The hull also narrows enough that you wouldn't get nearly as much support to prevent the boat rolling onto it's side.

You could probably get by with four stands and a 4X4 with a vee block to cradle the bow. It could be a fixed length and just wedged into place and tied to make sure it stays there. I would feel comfortable with that arrangement but not with just the four stands, Steve.
Adrift54

Post by Adrift54 »

Thank you. Will follow your advice. Much appreciated.
wsfanning
Location: S/V "Muse" '78 Typhoon #1524, Sandusky Sailing Club, Sandusky, OH

Post by wsfanning »

We had four stands in our refit. It was plenty. I was all over her filling, painting, installing bright work, etc and there was never any imbalance.
128 (Small).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.