New Cape Dory 28 Owner - Many questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

adamganz

New Cape Dory 28 Owner - Many questions

Post by adamganz »

I purchased a 1983 Cape Dory 28 last fall in City Island (The Bronx) and am now keeping her in Sheepshead Bay (Brooklyn). I love the boat. But have many questions.

Bimini:
The boom on this boat is quite low. I have a dodger but it doesn't provide much shelter from the sun. Has anyone seen/installed a bimini successfully on a CD 28 - any suggestions?

Self tacking Jib/jib boom/roller furling:
The previous owner installed a roller furler and a genoa. The winds are consistently strong where I keep the boat and I do a lot of tacking to get out to more open water...meaning that I often have the genoa reefed and would love to use the self tacking system. Has anyone successfully paired the two systems - roller furler and the self tacking jib boom? I have a couple of ideas but would love to hear from someone who has already figured this out.

New Sails:
I need a new main. I frequently (about 50% of time on boat) need to reef the main sail. I'm wondering if folks have developed a preference between fully battened/partially battened sails for this boat generally, and for this boat in consistent fresh winds.

Teak:
None of the teak is finished or oiled - which is how I'll keep it. However, there are several areas where the teak has cracked. The worst of it is the cockpit coaming. I'd like to replace these pieces but would love any advice/comments before I start...also need to find a good source for teak.

Adam
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: New Cape Dory 28 Owner - Many questions

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>Self tacking Jib/jib boom/roller furling:
The previous owner installed a roller furler and a genoa. The winds are consistently strong where I keep the boat and I do a lot of tacking to get out to more open water...meaning that I often have the genoa reefed and would love to use the self tacking system. Has anyone successfully paired the two systems - roller furler and the self tacking jib boom?<<

It's pretty much as simple as unrolling the genoa to about 100% and attaching the genoa clew to the club boom. The sail shape is not likely to be a perfect match for the configuration, but it would work. Watch out for the thrashing club boom, as you can't manage the rigging with the sail down.

All of that said, I think you'd be happier reefing the main and short tacking the full genoa.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
adamganz

Post by adamganz »

That definitely works, though when I venture up there I usually wear a helmet and some shin guards!

I'm trying to fashion a setup where I can unfurl the jib out from the cockpit. My thought was that I'd install a block at the from pivot point of the jib boom; run a line from the cockpit to that pivot point, then to the back of the boom, through a block and to the clew of the jib.
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Adam,

My CD 28 is a 1983 model. #341. What hull number is yours?

I use hank on sails. In winds above 8 to 10 up to about 18 maybe 20, I use the full main and the working jib on the club foot. In light air I hank on a 150 to the headstay and leave the working jib furled on the boom. If the wind pipes up I have two reefs available in the main.

I have a full batten main and would never go back to partials. Sail shape is better in my humble opinion, and it is easy to reef. The sailmaker said you got a bit more area in the roach with the full battens.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
rorik

Post by rorik »

I opted for a 97% hank on jib with a reef point and no boom.
Also have a hank on 105% jib in 3oz cloth for really light air.
Mainsail is loose footed with two top battens and two reef points.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Rebinva

Post by Rebinva »

We have CD 28 #149. It had a dodger frame when we bought it. We had a dodger and bimini made since we are both fair skinned and need protection from the sun. The bimini looked like a cap bill as it could only go so far back due to the main sheet. We were not satisfied with that arrangement and decided to switch to midboom sheeting. We now have a bimini that goes all the way to the end of the cockpit (past the backstay) and are very happy with it. We had to have the main recut because the boom has to be raised a little to accommodate this. We are both fairly short and can just stand under the bimini. If I knew how, I would add pictures, but no such luck.
adamganz

Post by adamganz »

Jerry - Thanks for the reply. I have hull # 350 (I actually have to triple check but I'm pretty sure that's right). The boat is generally in solid condition and I'm very happy with the purchase. Is there anything I should know about that production year?

I'm leaning toward a fully battened main so am glad to get your opinion.

I see you're sailing on Lake Michigan. I grew up in Madison WI and spent many summers arguing with my dad off of the Door County peninsula in a Tartan 34. I miss those waters!

Adam
adamganz

Post by adamganz »

Rebivna - that's a solution I'd consider. How much did you raise the boom? Has the reduced sail area been an issue?

Don't mean to be pushy but I'm really interested in your setup. If you have a photo could you send to my direct email: acganser@gmail.com.

Adam
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Adam,

Yes Door County is great! I've been honeymooning there in June for 37 years. :D It is an amazing cruising ground and I'm surprise it isn't more crowded. Did you ever sail up to Fayette in the UP? My favorite place on the lake.

Is your Dad still up there?

I had friends that had a dodger with a bimini extension. I'll have to search the old photo albums and see if I can come up with a picture. They had a stock height boom.
Last edited by Jerry Hammernik on Aug 6th, '14, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Post by Ken Cave »

If you go to the Cruising Corners website and go to David Patterson's site on the San Juans
and to page three, you will see a photo of our boat that he posted on 9/2/03.

I have a Harken 2 roller furler with a 154 genoa made at US Sails which really powers the boat
almost to the max. I keep the boom up with a line to the top of the mast, and can be adjusted
anytime I need to have more height. I do release it when sailing with the main as it interferes
when I tack.

A photo is worth a thousand words: Thanks David!!

(By the way, this photo was taken at Parks Bay in the San Juans, and David is there today
in his 27 Cape Dory!

Ken Cave
CD 28 227 (1979)
Dragon Tale
Rebinva

Post by Rebinva »

Hey Adam:

I will have some pictures of our setup on Sandpiper later this week. The ones I have now are on my old computer and I for doggone sure don't know how to get them from there. I plan to go down to the boat on Wednesday and take some new ones. I will post them then. (He said hopefully)