Looking for tips on a Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

springerfever

Looking for tips on a Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender

Post by springerfever »

First post on this site and have thoroughly enjoyed 'looking around'. We live in the Atlanta area and our primary sailing would be on Lake Lanier, just north of us.

What brings me here is my love of sailing and the yearn to get back on the water. Looking for something trailerable and with a fixed keel. Had the wife and kids up in Maine a few years back and took the kids out for a sail on a fixed-keel Rhodes 19 (Stuart Marine) that handled very well and had beautiful lines. We were staying in Southwest Harbor and visted the Hinckley Yard a couple of times ! I am definately a traditionalist when it comes to boat design.
The CD Weekender seems like a great choice for my needs. Just looking for general advice as far as checking out the offerings. Particular problems to look for, one year better than another, etc. I'm pretty decent with my hands but would need to buy a boat that is in good condition just needing some TLC.

Suggestions welcomed !!
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Looking for tips on a Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender

Post by tjr818 »

Probably more work than you want, but the price is sure good.

http://lakelanier.com/2014/07/want-free ... ke-lanier/
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
springerfever

Post by springerfever »

Tim

Appreciate the link. It's an interesting offer. Corp of Engineers probably told him to get the situation corrected or they will charge him a boat-load-of-money to remove it !!

Before I posted, I considered the CD 25 but it would be a bear to trailer and I definately do not want to pay slip fees. I just feel like the Typhoon will meet my needs better and in the end, I think I would use it more than the 25. And isn't that really what its all about ?

Thanks , I hope she finds a new home...........maybe someone with a CD 25 will save her for parts and rigging.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Springfever,

You are certainly welcome to drive over to Lake Murray SC and test sail a Weekender at our site. Although my Ty is not for sale, it is certainly within a short drive. I have done some minimal refit on my Ty and can steer you to some locations where you can get parts and advice.

I think a "test drive" is certainly worth the effort. You may take a look at the history of my Ty on the blogsite I maintain on her: baggywrinkles.blogspot.com and I invite you to the Lake Murray Sailing Club any time if you'd like to sail her. Just let me know and we can connect.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

I restored one Typhoon that came from Lake Lanier. When the heel over and lay in the red clay it permanently stains the gel coat. The hull will have to be painted if you want it to look good.
Have A Nice Day
tom ricks

Post by tom ricks »

On a lake, even a big one like Lanier, I doubt that the big Typhoon keel is that helpful. (I love it here on the Mainei salt water, but that is very different.) I were you, I might think about a smaller more nimble boat like the Hereshoff 12.5.
Good luck,
Tom Ricks
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Tom, you're quite savvy about our southern lakes. However, there are times when the winds whip up and the lakes become devilish down here. And the Typhoon lives up to her name.
Skeep
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
springerfever

Post by springerfever »

Skeep,

Thank you so much for the kind offer. A google/youtube search led me to your boat and she is a beauty. I love the lines and layout of the Weekender.

Not sure what your schedule looks like, but I would love to visit Lake Murray and test sail the Typhoon. Looks to be about a three hour drive from Atlanta. Not bad at all !! I'm pretty flexible. How would you want to go about setting it up ?

Thanks

Tom, the Hereshoff 12.5 you mentioned is a little smaller than what I am looking for. Beautiful boat, but my god....have you seen some of those prices ?

Also, Lake Lanier, particularly in the spring and fall can provide excellent conditions for sailing. Many of the summer power boaters have left and on a week day, you pretty much have it to yourself. I've been out many times with good sized whitecaps and some pretty wicked gusts when you have a lot of sail up !

These days, I'm looking for something a little more sedate and a possible introduction to sailing for grandkids down the way. The Weekender seems to fit the bill perfectly........
Hutch_north

Post by Hutch_north »

Hi, if you end up liking the Typhoon, I'm just getting ready to sell mine. It's in very good condition and at this point, TLC would be just -- and only -- what it needs. I would be delighted to have it in a place where it will get that, too! We have just made the big step up into a Ty Senior and two boats is definitely one too many!
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I have restored a 1976 Typhoon and after looking at the many helpful posts on this website you should look for a few important items when looking at the Ty. Rudder attachment - make sure that the rudder is firmly attached to the rudder post - sure do not want to lose the rudder while underway. Also look for telltale cracks along the junction of the cabin and decks - port and starboard. The cracks may indicate cabin sag from lack of support or too much shroud tension on the mast. Another place to look is to check out deck moisture around fittings. Cape Dory was not known for using too much caulking or bedding with fittings. Newer Typhoons had knees and a mast support installed to support the mast compression forces. Otherwise once you sail the Ty you will be amazed as to how sweet a sailing boat she is. Not known for her pointing ability she handles a chop well and gets on her side and sails like a much larger boat - steady and solid. There are a large number of upgrades and items that are easily installed or modified. Also - you will get a lot of comments and questions from other sailors - "What a beautiful boat - what is it?". Next you will be looking for a CD 10 for your dinghy - and the list goes on and on. Good luck with your search - I love my Ty!
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

I'm still here if you want to test sail!

Skeep
springerfever

Post by springerfever »

Skeep wrote:I'm still here if you want to test sail!

Skeep,

There is nothing I would like more than to get back on the water and do a little sailing ! Let me check with the family and see when I can get away. Thanks for the little 'push'...That picture is AWESOME.......how could any sailor resist !!

Ben
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Good deal Ben, use my wmccoy548 at hotmail and shoot me your windows of opportunity. I'm here from now until late September. Winds are the problem at this time of year. If we keep an eye out for weather we could almost coordinate like that, go to the phone and voila.
Skeep
Skeep
springerfever

Post by springerfever »

Skeep.

Sent an email a few days back. I've got a window of sailing opportunity this Monday/Tuesday and then this coming weekend Aug 9&10.

Any chance of a little sailing ?

My e-mail is pbjs@bellsouth.net

Thanks,

Ben
Skeep

Post by Skeep »

Ben, yes indeed. Weekend. Check your email for additional contact information. thanks
Skeep