fold down table main cabin of CD 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

paul marko

fold down table main cabin of CD 28

Post by paul marko »

I am trying to locate some plans or pictures of a fold down table for the main cabin of my CD 28 to replace the original tube supported table.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: fold down table main cabin of CD 28

Post by Neil Gordon »

I suppose this won't reach the level of tiller vs. wheel, but what's motivating you to ask?

I'll admit to not liking hauling the table to/from the hanging locker. On the other hand (and especially since we don't use the pull out), most often the table is just left in place in the cabin. I find it quite handy as a lunch counter, chart table, whatever table.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
paul marko

Post by paul marko »

the reason for the quiery about a fold down table, results from my last sailing guest who felt the constant presence of the tube supported table limited good conversation and ease of movement in the main cabin. :roll: the storage area for the tube table is full so I normally leave it in place.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Well I certainly wouldn't want the table deployed most of the time but the tube table is a very clever solution to the table dilemma on small boat. I could not imagine having to have it in place all of the time. The question I would be asking is what is so important that it has taken up all the table stowage space? A magazine rack or a lamp? I would move the stuff that is in the way and go back to the original design. It really is quite nice to have the table at times but I certainly would not want to have it permanently in place, Steve.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

Paul

While I don't have any pictures to share, I have been on boats with a fold down bulkhead table and they work well. Let suggest you do a Google search for "bulkhead mounted table".

examples:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55 ... 22170.html
http://www.ericson25.com/2013/01/main-s ... unted.html
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

The problem with a straight fold down table on our boats is that the bunks come all the way to the end of the bulkhead. Thus the reason for the rather brilliant sliding pipe solution. Hinging the table directly to the bulkhead will work out fine if you want the table directly over the settee.

I loved the picture of all the sailors sitting around the rope hung table in that other thread, Steve.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Paul:

The March/April 2014 issue of Good Old Boat magazine has a short (one page) article on building a fold down table with storage shelves. I would make a copy and mail to you but I have been told this is illegal. Sorry. :( The article is entitled "An Inspired Table" by Chuck Rushing.

I believe you can order individual back issues at:

http://www.goodoldboat.com/reader_servi ... issues.php

The March/April 2014 issue also references a May 2009 issue of Good Old Boat that has an article entitled "The Case for Books" by John Lively that discusses the installation of a fold down table/bookcase. It is six (6) pages in length and has many detailed photos, diagrams, etc. If one has the carpentry skills I think this would be an excellent "go by" article.

Good luck :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
rorik

Post by rorik »

I have the hardware for the folding table......
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
paul marko

Post by paul marko »

Thanks for all the suggestions about the fold down table, pros and cons I have not make up my mind yet. If someone could post a photo of the hardware required fpr the fold down model that would be helpful..

Thanks again for the time taken for your response

Paul Marko
paul marko

Post by paul marko »

Thanks for all the suggestions about the fold down table, pros and cons I have not make up my mind yet. If someone could post a photo of the hardware required fpr the fold down model that would be helpful..

Thanks again for the time taken for your response

Paul Marko
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Did I mention that I stow a soft sided cooler under the table, lashed to the legs. It takes up virtually no otherwise usable space there and greatly increases our capacity for cold storage when cruising.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Northoceanbeach

Post by Northoceanbeach »

What? What kind if table does your 28 have? What is standard?

Mine has it mounted on the port bulkhead. It folds and locks with a screw and unfolds and slides on a pipe with pegs in the three legs that go into holes in the floor.

It isn't stowed in the hanging locker. I have thought it's the most ingenious table design I have seen. It folds remarkably tiny and out of the way for such a big table.

It looks original. What is the standard 28 configuration?
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Northoceanbeach wrote:What? What kind if table does your 28 have? What is standard?
I suspect the factory standard changed over time, but I don't know when.

The table is mounted mid-cabin, with two recessed floor mounts offset toward the port settee. Two chromed (and prone to rust!) pedestals fit into the mounts; similar mounts are screwed to the table bottom so that the table is held firmly. Shorter pedestals are used to support the pull-out port side settee.

The table is hinged along the center line of the boat. We leave it in place, folded, where it serves as a handhold, counter, whatever. As I said, it provides a secure location for a cooler, duffel, etc., between and lightly lashed to the pedestals.

Similar hardware can be found here:
http://www.go2marine.com/product/198685 ... -post.html
http://www.go2marine.com/product/198684 ... lates.html
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Northoceanbeach

Post by Northoceanbeach »

Oh ok. I HAVE seen a picture of a 28 with that. Of the OP wants to put one in, the bulkhead one is super cool. It's big so at night I can put my laptop on it and watch a movie with room for two people to eat and not feel crowded. It folds up rediculously small and out of the way too. It feels very secure stowed on the mounts.
paul marko

Post by paul marko »

Northoceanbeach wrote:Oh ok. I HAVE seen a picture of a 28 with that. Of the OP wants to put one in, the bulkhead one is super cool. It's big so at night I can put my laptop on it and watch a movie with room for two people to eat and not feel crowded. It folds up rediculously small and out of the way too. It feels very secure stowed on the mounts.
I would very much,like to see a picture of the fold down table you are describing. Your description creates an image of just what I have been looking for.

Paul marko