Typhoon sail control

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Adrift54

Typhoon sail control

Post by Adrift54 »

For sailing the Typhoon Weekender in 15-20 kts wind, gusting 25+, am thinking a furling jib and 1-2 reefs in the mainsail should be helpful. Was out in those winds, and thought would be more comfortable. My current set-up has no furler and no reefs in the main. Would appreciate thoughts.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Re: Typhoon sail control

Post by Markst95 »

My setup has one reef in the main and a working jib. I've wished for a roller furling genoa on many occasions just to not have to go on the foredeck in rough seas.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

Thinking back to my typhoon days, a single reef and a 100% jib would probably do. Gusting to 25+ might call for a second reef depending on what you call comfortable.

I really enjoyed my roller furler on my bigger brand X boat, but for the day sails I'm doing now I don't miss it a bit. I can choose the appropriate sail before I leave the dock and I find I'm using my 100% jib the most, just because it makes things so easy short handed.

If I found myself needing to change head sails during the day out I would buy a furler and stay off the fore deck.

Gary
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

On our old Typhoon I would reef the main at 15kts and sail with the 100% jib, above 25kts two reefs and a reef in the 100% or smaller jib (Which I did not have.) would have been my ideal but I managed 25-30kts with the 100% flying and two reefs in the main. Instead of roller furling, you could cheaply put reef points in the 100% to shorten sail. It would not be all that inconvenient if you don't frequently sail in those conditions. You could set up the jib reef in the cockpit before going out for example.

Here is a Sailnet discussion on the subject with a picture of a jib with reef points circled. Basically, it's the same as slab reefing the main.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning- ... dsail.html
Paul
CDSOA Member
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

You may not have any reef points in your main sail but your boat should be equipped with roller reefing on the main from the factory. No need to mess around with reef ties in the sail.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
swhfire21

Post by swhfire21 »

Adrift54,

The key word in your question is "comfortable". There are people like me who prefer 15 degrees of heel on average saving some buffer for the gusts and those who think nothing of sailing continuously at 20 degrees or more with the rail under water. You need to decide where you are comfortable and plan your sail settings and arrange your reefing around that. There is no use in sailing like someone else if you are uncomfortable the whole time.

As an example, in our part of southern NJ we can plan on 12-15 mph and gusting almost everyday around 1:30 - 2:00 if the sun is out and the base winds are out of their predominant SE. My standard sail set on my Ty in AM was everything up in AM and jib furled to about 100% with double reef around 1:00-1:30. I used to wait for the wind to pick up before I reefed, but soon learned after a few "exciting moments" that if the aforementioned conditions were present the eventual high winds and near knock down (a lot of gusting occurs when the wind first picks up) were going to happen, no doubt about it for the most part.

I'm still trying to figure out the right combination with the new boat and have another week (no sailing for last four weekends) of wearing a brace for a sprained wrist from a near knockdown (about 2:00 PM) which almost rolled my wife of the foredeck (she was just sitting up there relaxing). I would definitely experiment with your available sails and the roller furling main (assuming its still there) until you find your comfortable spot, but would recommend the main be changed over to jiffy/slab reefing for ease once you know what degree of reefing works for your area. If reducing headsail becomes a common part of your voyages and you're not racing, roller furling is definitely something to consider (I don't think I'd go without it again now that I've had it).

Take care,
Steve
Pleasant Journey, Morgan 35
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Great Bay/Little Egg Harbor, NJ
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I put a roller furler on my Ty - CDI #1. The genoa is about 140% and as I furl it I need to move the turning blocks forward however this will require moving the genoa track forward about a foot or so and I have not yet done this. It is important to maintain sail shape so you can point the boat (which she hates to do with a partially furled genny without moving the blocks forward). In order to use the jib I need to swap the forestay and remove the furling gear - hasn't happened since I put the furler on. The convenience of using the furler is fantastic since I can sail into the dock with mainsail furled then furl the genny and coast in. It is easy to deploy in case of erring on the docking! Nothing worse than a 240 lb man on the bow with stern in the air when an errant wave hits - and people on the dock watching!
Adrift54

Post by Adrift54 »

Thank you all...many options.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Let me glom-on to this too.

When I first got my CD Typhoon, I thought, "Oh my goodness! I've got to put a roller-furling genny on her!" However, it was a wise recommendation from a sail maker and the approved installer for the popular one for our size boats, that I just sail her in all sorts of conditions and then make the decision. I've not had furler-fever since.

It's just not that kind of boat from my perspective. It's overkill. Ok I said it. Sure, it might make life easier for individuals, and I understand that keenly. Yet, I've usually looked at the wind conditions before choosing my sail plan of the day. If that plan became jeopardized by terrible gusts, then I've pulled up and hove-to and pulled that genoa down in a torrent of rain and wind and did hank the little bitty jib, which once put, made life a bit more comfortable despite the torrential rain in my face. Wish I'd been prescient, then I'd have known that terrible weather was coming! But I'm only human alas.

So summary, I abstain from furler-fever, and I love the classic old dory the way she is. And as for the wind, sometimes folks reef too late, I've done that. Yet there is always a way to recover, by spilling, and by doing whatever you can given the circumstance. Sometimes things get hectic out there.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Adrift54

Post by Adrift54 »

Thanks for all of your input. It helps. Lower right leg is paralyzed, so comfort is also practicality.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Exactly for that why for some as yourself it is so critical.

And I have to admit that at my age my old joints are not cooperating like they did when younger. And I am always having to be alert to the agonizing pain an out of joint knee provides always coming right about when I need it so like it did recently in a tight racing formation turning the tetrahedral and voila, the knee slides and I become the worse sailor mouth on the Ty as my wife yells, "What's the matter??" Gritting my teeth and grabbing my leg in abject pain I reply with less than a gentlemanly retort which cannot be copied here, she kindly asks above wind, waves, swinging boom and boats if she can help. And I realize my 1st Mate is my best assist for some of these times! And she doesn't swim either!
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Hutch_north

Post by Hutch_north »

ariasis wrote:You may not have any reef points in your main sail but your boat should be equipped with roller reefing on the main from the factory. No need to mess around with reef ties in the sail.
The roller reefing on my boom just doesn't work that well: the main sail pushes the boom far enough off of the cam at the gooseneck that it lets go, even with the outhaul tensioned. So when I reef, I roll and lash the rolled sail to the boom through the reef grommets or cringles; that works well but it's much slower than jiffy reefing.

I've found that my hank-on working jib (I think 100%) and a reefed main is good between 15 and 20 kts. I only have one reef point on the main; above 20, I have a smaller storm jib. The sail configuration isn't ideal but I can point, tack, and maintain about 20 degree heel on a reach. Much above 20 is always white-knuckle time regardless :)