Selling my Cape Dory 28 (1976)

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

Selling my Cape Dory 28 (1976)

Post by Paul Grecay »

Please feel free to PM me with any questions if you are interested in my boat.

I have just listed a description of my Cape Dory that I want to sell. So far, I have only put a detailed description with pictures on Ebay....my boat is on a mooring in Lewes, Delaware....see the Ebay listing or pm me for details.

I am selling my Cape Dory 28’ sloop. The boat was built in 1976 and I purchased it in 1995. It is hull number 31…ID number CPDF0081M76C. Details of the survey are available for interested buyers. The boat is one of the early Cape Dorys…the entrance to the companionway is deeper than the bridge deck later models. The boat originally came with plastic ports which were in questionable shape. All the opening ports have been replaced with bronze opening ports made by Newfound Metals. The main salon is equipped with a dropleaf table and a pilot berth on the port side…below that is a pullout berth. There is a full berth on the starboard side and the Vee berth in the bow. The cushion covers are in poor condition but serviceable. The galley has a two burner Origo alcohol stoveThere is a custom shelf for charts, and other accessories affixed to the stbd bulkhead. Horns, clock, barometer are included. All lamp bulbs have been replaced with LED lights. There is a large opening hatch in the main salon and another one in the forward cabin. Since I bought the boat I have made many upgrades which I will list. Whenever I sell anything, I prefer to realistically represent it so before I list the positive features I want to first discuss the optional work that the boat should have. While the hull and decks are in wonderful condition, the cockpit sole should be replaced. Since the cockpit sole is isolated from the rest of the vessel, I have never been concerned about moisture spreading to other parts of the boat. Likewise, the cockpit locker seats are saturated, but the boat comes with replacements for both cockpit locker seats. The teak rub rail and toe rail need work including bungs. They port side teak has been rebedded with butyl tape and the life-line stanchions have likewise been rebedded. While this may be considered somewhat cosmetic and not integral to the structural integrity of the boat, it is nonetheless worthwhile mentioning. I have sailed the boat here in Lewes, Delaware and she normally is at a mooring in a protected harbor….it has always been hauled in late fall.

Now for the upgrades which more than offset the above mentioned detractions. I will simply list them for ease of review:
Garhauer solid van installed.
CQR anchor added.
Harken Jib and Genoa roller furling
Standing rigging was replaced and is about ten years old
Running rigging replaced
Macerator pump and blackwater tank and valves installed
Solar trickle charger installed
Radar and bracket installed on mast (Furuno)
Steaming and anchor lights replaced
Scavenger foot pump for getting the bilge as dry as possible
Bilge pump and float valve
Jabsco toilet replaced in head
Freshwater washdown pump installed
Auxillary bilge pump rebuilt (Whale gusher)
A Garmin chartplotter and depth sounder is installed with a removable mounting for the cockpit.
Autohelm 2000 which can communicate with Garmin for course plotting
Compass is a Plastimo
Radio: Icom
Oil pressure gauge, engine hour counter, and voltage output of generator
CD player and speakers
Throwable life ring and bracket on pushpit
Attached raisable swim ladder on the stern
Main sheet (Crosby rig) is replaced
The main sail and the working jib were replaced (manufactured by Eggers Sail Loft, NJ)…the Genoa (North Sails) came with the boat…fair condition…age unkown.

Of special mention is the replaced engine and its associated parts:

The original Volvo engine was replaced with a brand new Beta Marine (Kubota) 3 cylinder diesel engine and transmission. The engine has glow plugs and electronic shutoff. In conjunction with repowering, new wiring harness, instrument panel, and cables and lever associated with forward, reverse, neutral and throttle have been installed. In addition, both fuel tanks were replaced with brand new aluminum tanks of the same size as the originals and new fuel lines and a Racor filter were added. During installation, a new stainless steel prop shaft was installed and fitted with a three blade prop appropriate for the boat. The stuffing box was replaced with a new PSS dripless shaft seal. A new water lifter (Vetus) and water muffler are installed. This work was done about 6 years ago. The engine has been immaculately maintained.

Paul Grecay

Forgot to mention...there is also a battery charger installed that will charge the batteries when connected to shore power. It needs to be wired into the rest of the system.
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

Re: Selling my Cape Dory 28 (1976)

Post by Paul Grecay »

Sold