In the Toilet

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

In the Toilet

Post by barfwinkle »

Afternoon folks.

If anyone knows where a new in the box Groco TOILET HAND BRONZE BASE HF 116250 can be found let me know. Everywhere I look online they indicate that they'll ship when available.

I have had one on order from Defender since January 15 and have been told four or five that they "hope to receive their shipment next week". Just this week I was informed that the Factory told Defender that it'll be the first week of June before they can expect delivery! THAT BLOWS! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ANyway let me know and as always fair winds.
Bill Member #250.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Re: In the Toilet

Post by trapper »

Glad to know that. I have one on back order from Defender, too. They told me in February that it would be there mid-April. I was going to call next week.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

GA to All

The Groco TOILET HAND BRONZE BASE HF 116250 is NO LONGER AVAILABLE! Just got the email from Defender! Aint that the BomB! Really had a feeling that was gonna be the story!

Anyone got any suggestions for a replacement (in the same price range), with something similar to the same "footprint"?

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Did the base itself on your old one break? Just order the plastic base model and move all the parts to your old bronze base.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Brian2

Post by Brian2 »

Hello,

If you ship your pump assembly back to Groco, they will rebuild it for you, if possible. I am away from home right now, but I think I have the name of the person that does the rebuilding, and a direct phone number so you can call and ask. I have sent mine in for a rebuild, and I have a rebuild kit (gaskets, flow handle, duck bill, etc) on the boat now. I'll try to find the info and repost.
Brian2

Post by Brian2 »

Even before I repost, try to contact Groco. They may have what you need. I just tried to order a part from Hamilton, but was told it was no longer available. I contacted the manufacturer directly and was told they (the manufacturer) had plenty in stock and would ship direct.
Adamhagan

Post by Adamhagan »

After preparing to replace the all the lines, the relatively new jabsco pump decided to act up. I promptly ripped out the whole unit, holding tank and all hoses. I bought a C-Head and the boat has never smelled better.
Kind Regards,

Adam
Brian2

Post by Brian2 »

Groco phone# 410-712-4242; ask for the toilet dept.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Thank you Brian for the information. However, as an update that number is "not a working number".

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Brian2

Post by Brian2 »

Bummer! Sorry about that. Try 410-604-3800 or jcly@groco.net
rollo_cd26

Post by rollo_cd26 »

I recently broke the mounts on my HF and tried to buy a new base from Groco. I talk to the very guy in charge of the marine toilets and he informed me that the PVC bases are no longer made (last in '96) and that a new bronze base was more than $200 from Groco! They are on back order from China as well and he did not have a firm date for delivery. Groco is focused on other marine parts and not too interested in maintaining the HF. You might want to try a complete replacement.
Rollo
Russell

Post by Russell »

rollo_cd26 wrote:I recently broke the mounts on my HF and tried to buy a new base from Groco. I talk to the very guy in charge of the marine toilets and he informed me that the PVC bases are no longer made (last in '96) and that a new bronze base was more than $200 from Groco! They are on back order from China as well and he did not have a firm date for delivery. Groco is focused on other marine parts and not too interested in maintaining the HF. You might want to try a complete replacement.
I actually switched to a Rairtan toilet myself due to the difficulties I always had getting parts for Grocos.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Rollo GO BIRDS! (not this year so far :cry: )

I talked with Groco today as luck would have it. It appears that the issue is a lack of "bowls" for the manufacturer (china to be sure) and they don't expect any more until the "first of the year"!

At first I was pretty hopeful, the guy on the other end of the line said YES we have ONE in stock. I said "I want it"! He said let me connect you to sales. Sales said "Oh that's a computer error"! There are none available! ARGH :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Good thing I dont need it "TODAY"! es Thanks Brian the last telephone number was indeed the correct one (obviously)!

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
rollo_cd26

Post by rollo_cd26 »

Barfwinkle,

I am not sure what the salutation' "Go BIRDS' means, I suppose it refers to the St. Louis Cardinals.

I am very familiar with your plight as last month I was desperate for an HF base as well and made the call to Groco. I posted a note on the Buy/sell forum and got one for just shipping cost in a few days although it was "used". I rebuilt my head and it now works fine. Give it a try, as you know Cape Dorians are very generous and I bet someone has a discard somewhere.
Rollo
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Bill, Rollo, Russell,

Groco has them in stock! They are American made... cast in Lancaster, PA and finished at the Groco factory in MD. They are not made in China.

I will be at Groco tomorrow. I'll be sure to look for the bases!

Simply call them they will sell direct and avoid the b/s that the middle men are giving you.

Groco's customer service is second to none!
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit