Spartan Port Screens Part 1

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mcos

Spartan Port Screens Part 1

Post by mcos »

The Screens for my CD 27D finally disintegrated. This was my solution for keeping bugs out.

Photo #1 -I used what was left of one of the factory screens as a template.
This was laid out on a sheet of plexi glass but you could use teak plywood or other
material.
Photo #2 - A diagonal cut was made through the edge of the frame to allow the inner portion to
be cutout with a band saw. If you use a saber saw or coping saw you would not have to
make the diagonal cut
Photo #3 - A piece of fiberglass window screen is then glued to the frame. Since I made a cut
through the edge I used two frames and placed the diagonal cut on the opposite sides.
I have also made a few with just one piece of plexi glass and it seems to work OK. If
you opted to use teak or other material and used a saber or coping saw then one frame with
the screen glued to it should be suitable.
(see the next post for Photos 4 and 5 - messages limited to 3 attachments)
Photo #4 - Since I used 2 pieces of frame with screen sandwiched in between, I clamped the assembly.
If you are using one piece of frame you can probably skip the clamping. After the glue was
dry, I used a belt sander to smooth the outer edges of the frame and trimmed to fit the port
hole opening. The screen is a friction fit. You might add a rim of foam weather stripping if you
aren't happy with the fit. Even the original Spartan screens had a gap around the outer edge
that let gnats sneak in.
Photo #5 - Screen installed.

Another possible way to make a replacement screen that I had considered was to use 1/4 inch copper
tubing for the frame and solder brass screen to it. I opted for the cheaper solution outlined above.
Attachments
Photo 3
Photo 3
DSC01273.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 376 times
Photo 2
Photo 2
DSC01272.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 376 times
Photo 1
Photo 1
DSC01271.JPG (2.02 MiB) Viewed 376 times
mcos

Re: Spartan Port Screens Part 2

Post by mcos »

Photo #4 - Since I used 2 pieces of frame with screen sandwiched in between, I clamped the assembly.
If you are using one piece of frame you can probably skip the clamping. After the glue was
dry, I used a belt sander to smooth the outer edges of the frame and trimmed to fit the port
hole opening. The screen is a friction fit. You might add a rim of foam weather stripping if you
aren't happy with the fit. Even the original Spartan screens had a gap around the outer edge
that let gnats sneak in.
Photo #5 - Screen installed.
Attachments
Photo 4
Photo 4
DSC01278.JPG (2.02 MiB) Viewed 375 times
Photo 5
Photo 5
DSC01279.JPG (2.39 MiB) Viewed 375 times