mounting a transducer for depth sounder

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Megunticook

mounting a transducer for depth sounder

Post by Megunticook »

I have a new Norcross Hawkeye depth sounder that I need to install in the next 2 weeks. Looking at the manual, it seems like mounting it on the transom is ideal. Has anyone done this and would you be willing to share any photos or at least your experience with it?
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Re: mounting a transducer for depth sounder

Post by Gary M »

A while back I was considering mounting a fish finder in my cd22

The instructions on the model I was looking at showed a transom mounted transducer. This makes a quick and easy intallaton on a fishing boat, but on a sail boat the transducer is going to leave the water too often. It most likely wouldn't look that good either.

The best choice I could find is to use a airmar transducer like the link below and mount it some where under the cockpit seat and not too close to the keel.

http://www.imarineusa.com/AirmarP79-0.aspx

The price of this transducer put the project out of my budget range and I never proceeded.

Gary
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

I second the Airmar. Working great on my 25D, installed against the hull under the galley stove.
Another problem I've had with transom mounted transducers is interference from prop wash. Would avoid it if possible.

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

I've successfully mounted transducers using...toilet bowl wax...on the hull interior near the bow. simply clean the area where you want to mount it....knead the wax...lay it down in a blob (technical term... :) and set the transducer. worked perfectly for me on another non-CD boat.

Rick

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

Toilet bowl wax?

I can see how that would work and I've never thought of it.

Toilet bowl wax stays flexable does it not.

But then again, if it moves, how hard would it be to reposition it.

I'm thinking I might want to buy a fish finder again just to try it.

Gary
ronkberg

Post by ronkberg »

Rick, I need some more info. I have installed two Airmar transducers in two Typhoons and used 3M 4200 to hold the mounting cup in place. Then I've used baby oil to fill the cup and set the transducer inside the cup. The transducer then transmits through oil, fiberglass and water to the ocean floor.

Are you using the toilet bowl wax to replace the mounting completely or just to create a doughnut-like ring which is filled with mineral oil? I thought the transducer had to transmit through "fluid" but if I understand your easier mounting method, it transmits through wax, fiberglass and the water.....correct?

You could be making my newest installation, in an Alberg 22, much easier.

Sorry for all the words but I hope you can understand my confusion.

Regards, Ron

[quote="s2sailorlis"]I've successfully mounted transducers using...toilet bowl wax...on the hull interior near the bow. simply clean the area where you want to mount it....knead the wax...lay it down in a blob (technical term... :) and set the transducer. worked perfectly for me on another non-CD boat.

Rick[/quote]
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Post by Terry »

Huh. Toilet Wax. Great Tip. Thanks.
I molded a level, flat-topped mound of epoxy to the hull beneath the portable head on my 25, then epoxied the transducer on top. The previous owner built a nice wood box, filled it with oil, and screwed the transducer to the top.

Next time I'll try the wax.
Last edited by Terry on May 12th, '14, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

There's a joke in here somewhere but I'll leave it to Neil Gordon :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

I took a piece of 3 inch PVC and cut it to a length of about three inches and then attached a threaded end cap on top. Used some epoxy to mount it to the hull under the sink and then put a few ounces of epoxy into the cup to provide a custom angle that would allow the puck to be positioned for an accurate beam. I cut a 1 inch slot in the top of the cap for the puck wiring and took the unused length of the wiring and used the cup as a storage retainer for the excess wiring. Filled the cup with olive oil and then placed a threaded end cap to the PVC, note I did not glue the end cap on. I found this to be a quick and cheap solution with the materials costing less than $5.00.

V/r

Pete
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

Pete,

Your post is a great way to go but the transducer that came with the product I choose measured 3 1/2" wide. I'd be looking for either 4 inch ABS or buying a through hull transducer at extra expense.

Was your transducer as wide as the one I was going to buy?

For a while I was looking for a product that came with a transducer I could use for the installation you discribed but I never found one.

Gary
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Gary

That should not be an issue given that PVC can be had in larger sizes. I will double check but mine might even have been 4 inch vs. 3 inches…..it was the same diameter as the toilet soil pipe for my land based bathroom remodel. My transducer was for the Garmin 50s that came out last year and I recall it being about two to three inches in diameter. I did cut the PVC pipe at an angle to correspond with the hull slope but this was purely for cosmetic purposes since poring epoxy prior to setting in the transducer essentially self leveled the inside of the cup. I am quite happy with the installation after one season and I find it quite useful towards keeping off the various bottoms in the shallow Chesapeake. I also find the sonar is a great fish finder. I can take a few photos if you think it would be useful.

V/r

Peter
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

Thanks Peter,

You've got me reconsidering an old project.

I'll keep an eye out on the construction sites I work on to see if I can pick up a scrap piece of 4 inch ABS so I don't have to buy a 10 foot length.

Did you use something like epoxy puddy to secure the pipe to the hull?

Was keeping bubbles out of the epoxy pour for leveling a problem?

Was the trasducer you used the type normally designed for transom mount?

Thanks again.

Gary
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

If you cannot find a piece of scrap, you can buy a coupling at any big box store, they are usually about 4" to 6" in length.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Gary

I thickened some West with some micro beads and used that to fasten the cup to the hull. I did take a palm sander to the hull to get a good connection and then afterwards painted it over with some white bilge paint. I think simple West would do the trick but I had the micro beads and bilge paint available from another project so I was able to put it to use.

I poured the leveling epoxy in two applications. This was to ensure I had a tight seal and no leaks as well as to ensure that too much heat was generated.

An after the fact discovery is that you might consider using the end cap fitting and forgoing the pipe. Depending on the height of the puck a PVC cap fitting might give you sufficient dimensions to handle the job. I would select the long end cap and you would have to put up with the treads inside the fitting and would need to be careful on how much you trim for the hull angle but it’s doable. If I have to do another one it’s something I would investigate….of course at the time I had plenty of CPV pipe laying around.

My puck was what was recommended for the 50c and was designed and selected to be done from inside the hull, I did not want to do a thru hull or to suspend it from the back of the boat. I did ask West Marine if there was an issue with going thru some additional epoxy which they indicated was not an issue. I would check with the manufacturer of your puck regarding application.

V/r

Pete
ronkberg

Post by ronkberg »

I have installed two Uniden QT206 digital depth finders with Airmar P79 shoot through the hull transducer. This might be the solution for others and all of the mounting parts are within the box. https://www.google.com/#q=airmar+p79+transducer

I am still curious about using toilet bowl wax rather than dealing with epoxy with all of the necessary prep work. The wax would adhere to the rough inside hull w/o prep work and then the transducer could be removed easily.....if needed.

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine