compounding my problems

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John G.

compounding my problems

Post by John G. »

Is it worth the time and expense to compound by hand i.e. without power tools. I would like to do the cabin top, cockpit and deck area around non-skid. I've never used a buffer in this type of application and don't need to learn the hard way (especially on my own boat). The areas being small would seem to create a problem for someone with no experience.
Bill Goldsmith

Re: compounding my problems

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

If you are looking for a shiny surface, a good compound and wax (I would only wax the topsides not the deck) can't be beat. Should not be a hugely daunting project on a 25D, obviously as the boat gets bigger, the more impetus to use a buffer. It is possible to overdo it with a buffer, but it's really not that hard to get the hang of it (but that's not your question).

http://youtu.be/O-qesAt92Jw
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

I sail a 36, and I've only compounded, polished, waxed those areas by hand. I couldn't get the electric buffer into most places anyway. Pretty straightforward task you're proposing.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I try to get Raven's hull pretty shiny but never go for that amount of gloss above the toe rail.

I have used compound in the past but I mostly just use soft scrub. I usually do this when I arrive at an anchorage with good tidal flow. I go bow to stern with a bucket and a pair of shorts. It really doesn't take that long and it comes out nice and bright with a bit of sheen.

I would not try to use a buffer on the deck and cockpit. You are going to catch on all sorts of hardware and it would be really easy to burn through your gel coat on some of the curves and edges.

I do know one guy that used one of those headlight buffers to do everything above the toe rail but that just seems like a waste of sailing time, Steve.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Oh! We're supposed to wax our topsides? :D A bucket full of boat soap and a mop is my speed.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Jim, when you get done waxing your decks you might also want to Armoral your boat shoe soles. This will help keep the wax looking nice, Steve.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

That's precisely the reason I only wash the topsides. I won't put a drop of wax anywhere my foot, or any other part of my anatomy, might come to rest when the boat is heeling, pitching, or yawing.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time