I feel like an organ donor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: I feel like an organ donor

Post by tjr818 »

Bob Owens wrote:Tim,
Seeing your location on the Mississippi: I grew up in central Illinois and spent a lot of time with relatives in St. Louis and Alton. Also spent boyhood summers at YMCA Camp Piasa not far north along the river at Grafton. The Mississippi is a beautiful river, but I cannot imagine trying to sail in that current, with the constant depth changes and with all the barge traffic. Must be a challenge.
Bob
The current is only bad in the spring, during the spring floods it can easily run 7-8 kts. We don't go out in that (anymore). We sail past the Piasa bird everytime we head down stream. The depths go from about 80 feet down to two or three feet, but the channel is a promised nine foot all year.
Come on back we can go sailing.
Piasa Bird.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Post by Bob Owens »

Thanks, Tim. And if you are in NYC area, get in touch. We can get you out in Long Island Sound on one of Slainte's sisters, and we can swap stories abou the Mississippi.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oh, and for the first time in my life, I'm the owner of two marine diesels. The Beta arrived this afternoon and was dropped (gently!) in my driveway. Having paid attention to Mr. Rodner in High School Physics, I had little trouble using an inclined plane (aka a 1/2" plywood ramp) getting the 290 lbs. from driveway to back of Jeep.

Time to follow up on the sale of the MD7A. Also time for it to get warm so I can take the cover off LIQUIDITY and get the Beta out of my car.

By the way, it's amazingly small compared to the Volvo!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698