An odd number of holes in your boat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Steve Laume

An odd number of holes in your boat

Post by Steve Laume »

So Fred, I have always enjoyed your line; "You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat". What I struggle with is just what constitutes a hole and does this apply to above the waterline holes as well as those below? Only the hull or are we talking about the deck here too? Then there are those tricky ones in the transom that are above the waterline but often underwater while underway. The exhaust could be considered one hole, but there are three bolt holes to keep it in place.

It is winter here so I have some time to think about this before I might have to go down to the boat and drill another hole to keep things odd, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: An odd number of holes in your boat

Post by Neil Gordon »

For the safety of our vessels, you've raised a very important question, one that raises many more:

An odd number of holes below + an odd number of holes above = an even number overall. Is that right or wrong?

If it's holes overall, do you have the odd number above or below the waterline?

After all is said and done, if you find you have an even number of holes, do you add one or glass one over?

Is having an odd number of holes a universal rule or is it just for boats with tillers and locked props (or vice versa)?

Does it matter what brand of rum you have on board?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Neil, I might have had an odd number of holes and then glassed over the depth sounder. Since this is well below the water line it surely qualifies. Now I might have to drill another hole in the boat to make things right with the gods. This has been bothering me for a few years now and it has been a long winter, so I have had plenty of time to ponder this situation. No one has offered me any of that really good free rum to take my mind off of this. With Raven in the water, things could get messy trying to rectify this situation, before leaving the dock this spring, Steve.
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

I know that this can be a very tedious task BUT I can not stress the importance of knowing whether you are an odd or even. All evens one step forward...Please. With drill motor in hand and a new, sharp and shiny bit properly inserted in said device, depress the trigger a few times to get the feel of it and then choose your spot and DRILL THAT HOLE, as if your life and the safety of your boat depends on it.

BTW the whole hole count is to include only those holes the pierce the boat completely. Screw holes do not count if they do not offer full penetration. Like many things in life "It's all the way in or it don't count", this is not at all like hand grenades, almost doesn't count.

Above and/or below? What are you? Daft? The reasoning is simple, there must be that one extra(read ODD here) whole hole to allow all that water that gets in, by slosh or splash or leak or dribble or drip or rain either intentional or not, to get out of the boat. Possibly that last but far from forlorn whole hole might best be assigned duty as a connection point for the, dare I say, BILGE PUMP.

Others have tried the theoretical EVEN NUMBER OF HOLES approach. However they are not available for comment as they are currently occupied salvaging their vessels from DJ's locker.

The instructional DVD with narration by yours truly will be available soon at all finer boat supply stores and video outlets. Amazon has offered a wonderful contract expecting tremendous sales figures.

I hope that this short note has clarified what may at times seem to be a confusing issue.

Take care and keep your holes, whole or not, warm during this frigid season
Fred
Last edited by fenixrises on Feb 25th, '14, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Do body piercings count when my niece is on board?

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

David, now you got me counting the holes in my body. I seem to be okay right now. If I cut myself and start bleeding, I am afraid I might have to create another injury to keep things right. This could get pretty painful, Steve.
Big E
Salem, MA

Post by Big E »

Does a beer hole count? :D
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

My brother in law is an (alpha) hole. Does that count when he's aboard? and if so, what do I do when he's not?

Confused and frightened in DE.
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

tartansailor wrote:My brother in law is an (alpha) hole. Does that count when he's aboard? and if so, what do I do when he's not?

Confused and frightened in DE.
:D
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
swpatooty2

Post by swpatooty2 »

This may be a mis-application of the old warning that applied to wooden boats. There you always wanted an even number of holes, so that you knew that what worms bored in, bored out.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Here's good news for all boat owners.

There was a time, not too long ago, when I was confused and frightened about whether I had the proper number of holes in my boat. Many's the night that I tossed and turned in my sleep, deeply distressed concerning the hole setup in my boat. Too many? Not enough? Odd number or even?

By a stroke of luck, one day my whole life changed. I was poking around in the bins of a boating supply store and spotted various cards with peel back stickums of "holes". Beautiful, real life, genuine holes. There was a choice of small, medium and large sized holes. Some round, some irregular.

The thing that I liked best was that there were two qualities of faux holes to choose from. One type, the more expensive of the two, was undetectable past two feet away. The cheaper version could fool an unwary viewer past five feet of distance from the "hole".

Now I feel perfectly comfortable knowing that if I get a twinge of insecurity about how many or where the holes in my boat are, I can whip out my peel off cards of vinyl holes and apply or remove them to my heart's content.

Life is good,
O J

This is a picture (double image and all) of Fred Bickum, (Fenix) who was caught counting holes in the group attending the 2009 CDSOA general meeting which was held in Harve De Grace, Md.

Halfway through Fred's count, someone asked him a question and Fred lost count whether the tally was odd or even. So we continue on life's journey, still in doubt.

"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

I am so nonplussed. One time the count is 15, the next is 16. I’m doing this by visualizing and not by on the boat count. Am I having a snow “meltdown”?
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

moctrams wrote:I am so nonplussed.
I see your problem.

When adding up the counts of the various holes, you need to PLUS them, not non-plus them!

(Is it Spring yet?)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Does a number of odd holes give you as much protection as an odd number of holes?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

It's odd of you to ask that question.

Happy Monday, :D
O J