New Halyards; material, etc.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

New Halyards; material, etc.

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Before posting I tried to check the board for "halyard material" and came up with very little current information.

I am in the processing of installing a new main and a new Genoa (130) both built by UK Sails. The current halyards I have are very, very old. They are serviceable but old.

I have decided I would like to install new halyards for the main, the Genoa, and possibly a spinnaker, although I doubt I shall ever have the courage to fly a spinnaker.

In looking at material, it seems like Sta Set X is the recommended choice with a 3/8" diam as the recommended size.

One of goals of replacing the halyards is to color coordinate them. The main halyard will be one solid color, the Genoa halyard a different color; and the spinnaker halyard a 3rd color. The sole purpose in color differentiating is ease of use. At present no matter how many times I am at the mast I still have difficulty picking out the main halyard, etc. Of course, it does help to remember that it is always wrapped around the starboard side mast winch. :wink: :oops:

What is the recommended material, size, etc. for a Cape Dory 25D, sailed by an inexperienced sailor who mostly single hands and does NOT race her :?: :?: :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: New Halyards; material, etc.

Post by tjr818 »

Hi Robert,
The book says that 3/8" is recommended, and I think that is about the smallest size line that you want to be tugging on. 3/8" staset-x is what we have on our 27 and it is more than adequate. The modern materials are much stronger than the older types of lines. My only caution would be about color choices. Solid red line will eventually fade to PINK, other colors will fade also, but they don't turn ugly.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

I don't understand the need (nor the cost of) for the colored coded lines (at least not solid, tracer maybe). Starb'd = Main, Port = headsail, and then the spinnaker is at the front of the mast. At least aboard Rhapsody.

Happy Holidays & FW
Bill Member #250.
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

barfwinkle wrote:I don't understand the need (nor the cost of) for the colored coded lines (at least not solid, tracer maybe). Starb'd = Main, Port = headsail, and then the spinnaker is at the front of the mast. At least aboard Rhapsody.

Happy Holidays & FW
You setup is The Standard, but often I have guests aboard who do not know the ways of a ship. :roll: Unless my wife or I are going to do all of the work it is easier to say "release the red line" or "put some tension on the blue line". That is why I now use carabiners for the fenders (and yes, they too are color coded). :)
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

I get all of my running rigging from these folks:

http://cajunrope.com/
Russell

Post by Russell »

I use sta set X for the main halyard and sta set for the head sail halyards (and all my sheets are sta set). My cheap side who tends to like to buy things on sale has slowly made a mess of any attempts at consistent color coordination over the years, but has never caused an issue (I know what line is where, but a guest would probably spend a lot of time head scratching at the 3 different red fleck lines going to the port cabin top winch).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

I recently replaced my halyards, as well. Maximizing the line diameter is key, but limited by the size of the block at the masthead. You are correct in that for a 25D 3/8" is max. I also used sta set X and bought whatever color was available and cheapest! If a guest doesn't know the difference between port and starboard at the mast, I figure they won't be handling the lines much on my boat!!

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Robert,

If you're going to color code your lines Port and Starboard, it's the perfect time of year to also ask Santa to consider a pair of "sailor socks" in your stocking, all in the interest of the safety of the vessel, of course.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

If you will be cutting sta set, you will want to buy or borrow a heat knife. Otherwise it can be a very frustrating experience, I discovered.
CDSOA Member 1389
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

This is a little embarrassing. I had hoped that my brief sentence explaining why I wanted different colored halyards would be sufficient. "The sole purpose in color differentiating is ease of use. At present no matter how many times I am at the mast I still have difficulty picking out the main halyard, etc."

The limited sailing I have done, and intend to do, is mostly single hand. When another person is aboard he or she is ALWAYS more experienced than me. Of course, not a difficult bar to climb over. :( The color coordination is for me and me alone. I really am that dumb. :oops:

I recently saw an Island Packet 38 at the sailing club that had color differentiated halyards. Sadly, being stupid, I did not ask the owners what brand, etc. They are staying for a few weeks so hopefully I will get to talk with them.

In between reading these posts I have done additional research. Not surprisingly, I am not able to find solid color halyards from any of the reputable rope companies. All I can find is white line with what are called "flecks" of red, green or blue woven into the white.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I might go to source solid color (red, green, blue, etc.) halyard line :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
steveg

Post by steveg »

Hi Robert,

The main halyard is normally on the starboard side and jib to port. Defender has solid color line. Samson XLS in green, red, blue or black. It is just a bit more expensive than the white with color flecks. I am sure you can get it elsewhere as well. Hope that helps.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Steve:

Thanks very much :!: That appears to be what I am looking for.

I am not very familiar with Samson Rope. The rigger deals with New England Rope. The sailing service/supply I have used in the past also deals mostly with New England Rope.

From a brief "Google search" I am assuming Samson Rope is a quality company with quality product. They have been around for 180+ years.

At present I am thinking of the following:

Main halyard - red
Genoa halyard - green
Spinnaker halyard - blue
Topping lift - white

I am also going to invest in new Genoa sheets. What I have now are even older than the halyards.

Port Genoa sheet - red
Starboard Genoa sheet - green

I am hopeful that if an experienced sailor is aboard as "captain" and s/he tells me to let out the "red" Genoa sheet that I do not run to the mast to drop the main. :D

Thoughts :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:...
Main halyard - red
Genoa halyard - green
Spinnaker halyard - blue
Topping lift - white
Port Genoa sheet - red
Starboard Genoa sheet - green
Thoughts :?:
Robert,
I have used Sampson in the past, and we are using some of the red and blue right now. It is quality stuff.
Don't forget the Genoa furling line, the cunningham, the vang, and the preventers....
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

tjr818 wrote:Don't forget the Genoa furling line, the cunningham, the vang, and the preventers....
Tim:

The Harken Mark IV, Unit 0 was installed yesterday. It came with a black furling line (with red "flecks").

I do not presently have a Cunningham

I have an almost new Garhauer boom vang. On those rare occasions that I might want to have the main all the way out I would consider using the boom vang as a preventer.

Keeping It Super Simple ("KISS").
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
steveg

Post by steveg »

Hi Robert,

I second the thought that Samson is quality line. I have used some of the red for reefing. I could not tell the difference between the Samson and New England, not that I spent much time examining it.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?