How to heave to

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

casampson

How to heave to

Post by casampson »

Any tips on how to heave to in a Typhoon? I have a general idea, but would appreciate advice from the forum. Thank you.
Runaround

Re: How to heave to

Post by Runaround »

Tack and don't touch anything. When your bow crosses the wind, steer back towards the wind. This is with a headsail and the main up. :D
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Re: How to heave to video

Post by moctrams »

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

That's pretty much it. Once the jib is backed, lash the tiller to leeward, adjust the main until all the forces (jib, main and rudder) pretty much offset and have lunch or just enjoy the view.

It's a good idea to go from a port tack to heaving to on a starboard tack, which makes you the "stand on" vessel in most situations. You still need to keep a lookout and you still need to be aware of hazards to navigation.

Practice in benign conditions and work your way up.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

One addition to the process. As you tack and put he bow into the wind, slacken the main if you were hard upwind. It does not hurt to luff a minute and shed some speed through the tack, particularly in bigger boats.

Then take the tiller hard to leeward and adjust main and tiller.

Great, great thing to have confidence in, and the closest thing to a parlor trick on a boat.
casampson

Post by casampson »

Would it be possible to take down your jib after heaving to. I single hand a lot and would like to find a way to go forward while alone.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

casampson wrote:Would it be possible to take down your jib after heaving to. I single hand a lot and would like to find a way to go forward while alone.
Absolutely. BUT, remember as the headsail goes away so does the force holding the bow down. With the main sheeted tight on center and the helm down you might start to tack. If it does want to do this release the main some. Different wind and sea conditions will require tweaking.

I heave to when single handing in order to drop my main. Much easier, especially when it's blowing a ton. Safer too.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

casampson wrote:Would it be possible to take down your jib after heaving to. I single hand a lot and would like to find a way to go forward while alone.
You'd be hove to on just the main. Adjust the main sheet and tiller so that as the main puffs, you fall off again, sail up, luff and repeat the process. Do this after releasing the jib... When the biat's happy, take it down.

Practice!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

rtbates wrote: I heave to when single handing in order to drop my main. Much easier, especially when it's blowing a ton. Safer too.
Randy:

Could you walk me through this :?: If I am hove to on S/V Bali Ha'i on a starboard tack and then go forward on the starboard side (sort of the high side) to drop the main, once the main is down would I not immediately and sort of forcefully tack :?:

When you say you heave to in order to drop the main, is this done after or before you have furled the Genoa/jib :?:

I ask because on those very few times I have single handed I have: (1) started the engine; (2) headed into the wind; (3) furled the Genoa; and (4) worked my way to the mast to drop the main. I am still thinking about running the main halyard aft to the cockpit so I can drop the main from the cockpit without going up to the mast.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote: I ask because on those very few times I have single handed I have: (1) started the engine; (2) headed into the wind; (3) furled the Genoa; and (4) worked my way to the mast to drop the main...
That is similar to my procedure on our 27. We furl the jib, head into the wind, put the engine in fwd at dead slow, and then drop the main. If the 1st mate is aboard all goes well. I can do this all single handed, but the new main is as slippery as ell poop, so I have quite a time corralling everything. This could be a good time to be tetherd. While the mast is down for the winter I am going to add lazy jacks and see if that makes it easier for single handing.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:If I am hove to on S/V Bali Ha'i on a starboard tack and then go forward on the starboard side (sort of the high side) to drop the main, once the main is down would I not immediately and sort of forcefully tack :?:

When you say you heave to in order to drop the main, is this done after or before you have furled the Genoa/jib :?:

I ask because on those very few times I have single handed I have: (1) started the engine; (2) headed into the wind; (3) furled the Genoa; and (4) worked my way to the mast to drop the main.
If you're hove to and drop the main, the jib remains backed and the helm is still lashed to leeward. The bow will fall off, the boat will steer back to the wind, the bow will fall off, etc., etc. You won't have enough drive to tack.

If you're furling a jib, it's easiest going downwind, with the jib in the shadow of the main. No need to heave to for this one and in any case, I'm not sure how you'd go about furling a backed jib.

With the jib furled, dropping the main is simply a matter of letting go of the tiller and sheeting in the main. The boat will round up into the wind and the sail will luff. It's a leisurely walk to the mast. Once the main is down, the bow will fall off and the boat will lie ahull quite comfortably. Lash the helm to leeward again and you'll be effectively hove to with bare poles. You'll drift slowly... just plan accordingly.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
MikeD
Location: Sea Glass (1967 Pearson Ariel #414), Totoro (1977 SS23 #626)

Post by MikeD »

Here's a good video on lowering the main while heaving-to: http://youtu.be/EI_PnHZwBOY
Mike
Sea Glass (Pearson Ariel #414)
Totoro (SS23 #626)
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:
rtbates wrote: I heave to when single handing in order to drop my main. Much easier, especially when it's blowing a ton. Safer too.
Randy:

Could you walk me through this :?: If I am hove to on S/V Bali Ha'i on a starboard tack and then go forward on the starboard side (sort of the high side) to drop the main, once the main is down would I not immediately and sort of forcefully tack :?:

I ask because on those very few times I have single handed I have: (1) started the engine; (2) headed into the wind; (3) furled the Genoa; and (4) worked my way to the mast to drop the main. I am still thinking about running the main halyard aft to the cockpit so I can drop the main from the cockpit without going up to the mast.

1. heave to with as little headsail as possible.
2. Monitor the bow as it swings back and forth
3. When the bow is swinging up wind, release the mainsheet and allow the boom to swing downwind. As it approaches luffing drop the main.
4. Done.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

rtbates wrote: 1. heave to with as little headsail as possible.
That's critical whenever heaving to. The smaller your headsail, within reason, the closer to the wind you'll be when heaving to.

Personally, when flying my genoa, I follow these steps.

1. reduce headsail to about 100 percent, preferably while on a
2. port tack
3. sheet in the main as close to the midline as possible
4. back the jib (so you're now technically on a starboard tack)
5. lash the tiller to leeward, or fix the wheel (and hence the rudder) to windward.

That's it.

I practiced this maneuver over and over, until it became second nature. Now I use it to reef underway, or to drop below to grab my sandwich and liquid refreshment. Or even to take a short break from the afternoon "square waves" on Buzzards Bay.

NOTE: When I started practicing heaving to, some powerboaters would sometimes come over to me and ask if I was in trouble. Others, of course, would just scream past me, so I'd take their wake broadside.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

In my experience with single handing a Ty and CD 25D there are two methods to employ. You can 'heave to' or 'fore reach'. Backing the foresail with tiller to leeward will put you hove to (the state after you perform the action heave to). No forward progress, just side slipping if balanced properly. Dropping (I have hanks) or furling the foresail with the tiller to leeward will allow the boat to fore reach. You're still moving forward but at less than a knot. Both methods will slow the boat considerably. I have found that on most 10-15 kt days I can fore reach at about .5 kt and manage mainsail reefing, stowing, and other tasks.