Excited new CD 25D owner

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Petersen

Excited new CD 25D owner

Post by Petersen »

:) I am new to the board and this is my 1st post. I own a Typhoon weekender (my 2nd Ty) and just acquired a 1982 CD 25D. I will be launching her in the spring and will be sailing out of Cape Cod, Bass River. Compare to my Ty, the 25D is a big step up and I have lots to learn about her. I would like to link up with other CD 25D owners , particularly from the mid Cape who could assist/guide me re my new boat. Its going to be a long winter!![
rtbates

Re: Excited new CD 25D owner

Post by rtbates »

Congratulations. We love ours.

And welcome to the forum.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Peterson,

I owned CD25D hull #2. It moved my horizons. I sailed her up and down the Chesapeake. You will love your 25D! Take a reef at 15 or 16 knots and you will love the way she handles.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
abcnuzeman
Brooklyn, NY

Post by abcnuzeman »

Congratulations...I picked up my CD25D four years ago. I didn't make any changes until I had sailed her for a season and got a good idea what I liked and what needed doing. I made a short video of last seasons outings on Jamaica Bay in Brooklyn that will give you some idea of how much fun you've got to look forward to.
David
http://youtu.be/7QgqPEJo_uA
Runaround

Post by Runaround »

Hello. And welcome. I am a relatively new 25D owner myself. 1982 hull #62. The best thing you can do is not force her. By that I mean, less sail. She'll take a lot of sail but you'll both be uncomfortable. I sailed a lot fighting the tiller, healed way over before I tried reefing at 12 knots or so and bringing in the headsail a good bit. The difference was amazing. The tiller got light, I was healed at a comfortable angle, and we sped up. Too much sail and you will just shove her down and through the water. The tiller will tell you how you are doing. Happy Sails!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Welcome. I, too, moved up from a Ty to a 25D and this was in 2001.

Lots of files on this Board. Check Sea Hunt's posts over the last couple of years - He is in FL and has extensively researched and questioned 25D owners on this Board.

Join and participate in this really quite wonderful organization.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Welcome to the Cape Dory Fanatics Asylum. I just ended my first season with Wielewaal, hull #45, and my first sailboat, as well!! Every day has been a learning experience and I will echo what others have said, take a reef at 12-15 knots and you and your boat will be very happy. Sailed from Rockport to Harpswell, Maine single-handed and always felt safe and solid, even thru the rollers inside Sequin Island! She's a great choice, lots of room for a couple and as seaworthy as many much larger boats. The only downside (maybe!) is the GM1. Not quite enough umphh and vibrates like a jackhammer! But, I gotta say, she starts every time and has never let down! Have fun and if you ask, there will be lots of opinions on this board!

David
Last edited by David Morton on Dec 11th, '13, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Welcome! I've owned a 25D since 2003, when I moved up from a Marshall Sanderling catboat. Love the boat! We're not quite neighbors, but I'm also located on the Cape. Hope to see you on the water, or perhaps at the Annual Meeting of the Northeast Fleet, CDSOA.
Best,
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Congratulations :!: I think we sort of followed the same path. I had a Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender for a couple of years and then purchased S/V Bali Ha'i.

Sadly, I have not yet done as much sailing with her over the past two years as I would have liked but she is a great sailboat - at least for me. She is a little more than I can safely deal with single handed but I am learning - one painful mistake after the next. :(

There are several long time owners of CD 25Ds who post often on the board. For me, a rookie with limited knowledge and very limited skills, this board has been a great resource of sound, practical knowledge.

Enjoy your Cape Dory 25D :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Steve Darwin

Post by Steve Darwin »

Welcome to this board. I've learned a whole lot from it.

Could the 25D be called a "cult" boat? It seems to be a design that Alberg really got right. I spent a year looking for a comfortable daysailer/coastal cruiser with a full keel, relatively shallow draft, and something like standing headroom. When my brother an I sat in the cabin of a 25D for sale and in the water, we knew we'd found what we were looking for. It's a package that makes for very comfortable daysailing - luxury daysailing you might call it. The boat feels a lot bigger than it is.

The GM1 gives more than enough power most of the time, but against a full-bore current in Woods Hole, say, we make sloooooww progress. Can't fault the fuel consumption, though.

Think of the working sails, with one reef in the main, as the "normal" sail area. Let out the main for light air, take a second reef when it starts to blow.

Happy sailing!
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve Darwin wrote: It's a package that makes for very comfortable daysailing - luxury daysailing you might call it.
And if you "daysail" for 1000 days or so in a row, a 25D will take you around the world.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

Runaround wrote:Hello. And welcome. I am a relatively new 25D owner myself. 1982 hull #62. The best thing you can do is not force her. By that I mean, less sail. She'll take a lot of sail but you'll both be uncomfortable. I sailed a lot fighting the tiller, healed way over before I tried reefing at 12 knots or so and bringing in the headsail a good bit. The difference was amazing. The tiller got light, I was healed at a comfortable angle, and we sped up. Too much sail and you will just shove her down and through the water. The tiller will tell you how you are doing. Happy Sails!
I couldn't agree more with those comments. It took me some time to come to that conclusion but it is dead on right - less is more.

Welcome to the board. I bought Dream Weaver in 2003, 1984 Hull #151 and have spent a decade making her better. This board helped me every step of the way. As an example I recently asked for help selecting a replacement for the original pressurized alcohol stove. I was able to find a perfect replacement (nonpressurized) and even got an offer from one of my board buddies to help me install it.

You will find it can take you most anywhere in safety.

Dick
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I concur with Dick and Runaround's comments. Reefing early with Alberg boats seems to be a best practice by experienced owners. I would add not over trimming the main - sheeting it in too tightly. I feel a see a lot of sailors in general do that. On Femme, sailing on any point of sail from a beam reach upwind, I trim the main where I think it should be. Then when everything is good on the current tack - genoa, course etc. - I ease the main till the area just behind the luff starts to backwind and then tighten just a we bit. I find the helm is light and the speed the best it can be. Full disclosure, I have 30 year old sails!
Paul
CDSOA Member