North Carolina to Maine

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Doug Oliver
Bucks Harbor, Maine

North Carolina to Maine

Post by Doug Oliver »

A friend just bought a Bristol 42 trawler that's sitting in New Bern, North Carolina and I have offered to help her bring it back to Maine next May. Does anyone have suggestions on which guides would be most helpful. Especially from New Bern to Rhode Island as I have done the Rhode Island to Maine leg. Thanks!
Solmar
Robinhood 36
Wolfeboro, NH

Re: North Carolina to Maine

Post by Solmar »

We have found that Active Captain was the most reliable & useful, also Skipper Bobs.
Brian & Debbie
CDSOA #786
Solmar
Robinhood 36
Wolfeboro, NH

Post by Solmar »

Need more crew?
Brian & Debbie
CDSOA #786
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Solmar is right. ActiveCaptain.com is awesome. Also, Garmin's Bluechart software for an iPad is good too (I forget if there is a PC app too??). The Garmin software is free and the charts were $30 if I remember correctly. This app automatically pulls in data from ActiveCaptain. This app also interfaces with newer Garmin electronics, if you have them, but not as a requirement.

Oh, stops at free docks in Oriental, Belhaven, and Elizabeth City are musts.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

If you're looking for hard-copy cruising guides, the Maptech Embassy Cruising Guides, published by Richardsons' Maptech (yes, the apostrophe is in the right place), provide comprehensive information. [DISCLOSURE: I have edited and written for this company. Mostly I check the nav data against the latest NOAA online charts.]
Sounds like a great trip, although early spring can be iffy as you approach Maine.
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627