bought a Ty Senior

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Megunticook

bought a Ty Senior

Post by Megunticook »

I've been hanging around on the forum for a few years now, ever since I started looking at CD25s. Appreciate all the good advice I received.

The stars finally aligned this fall and I bought a Typhoon Senior, hull #11. It's in decent shape but I have a punchlist for the winter. Fortunately it's in a trailer at my house, so I can easily work on it when I have the opportunity.

First order of business was freeing up the seized seacocks, which I managed to do with plenty of Kroil and judicious use of a rubber mallet. They're the Spartan bronze ones, and I'm waiting on some lapping compound and grease so I can get them back in service.

Next item is to get the bilge pump working. Does anyone have any tips on this? There's a little water in the bilge, and I can see the hose in there, but when I pump nothing seems to come out. Remove the hose and check for leaks? Clean the screen?

This is my first sailboat (have dreamed of owning one ever since the first time I went sailing at age 14), I have a lot to learn and will probably be asking lots of questions in the coming months.

Here's a picture of her on her trailer, freshly arrived at her new home:

kerlandsen

Re: bought a Ty Senior

Post by kerlandsen »

Congrats.
Lovely boat.
used to own one. Sold it to Megan, who is on this board.
Ask away. I have some great notes on it, someplace.

Kyle E
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

I'm glad that Kyle replied to your posting, I was on the water when you posted. I drive four hours each way to be on "Puffin", Ty Senior #35. It's great that you can bring yours home! Congratulations, you bought a great boat!! I've had "Puffin" since '05, very satisfied. I'd be interested to hear what you think after you've sailed her. Where is your sailing area?
Dave Hedlund
tmoroney75

Post by tmoroney75 »

Congrats! You've made a fine purchase decision. I've had Ty Senior "Dorus Mor" (also my first sailboat) since 2005 and am totally satisfied. It sounds like you're on the right track with the bilge pump and seacock repairs. Where will you sail her? I sail out of the lower Potomac river, MD.

Tom
NateHanson

Post by NateHanson »

Congratulations!
The manual pumps take a dozen or more pumps to get primed, so I'm guessing you just need to keep pumping longer (and maybe faster). If that doesn't work, take apart the pump and inspect the joker valves (rubber duck bill looking check valves).
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

She'll be on Penobscot Bay in Maine for the most part, we may venture further up or down the coast occasionally.

Turns out the bilge pump may be fine--when I tested it originally there was very little water in the bilge, so I think the hose end was only partially submerged (I assumed you could pump every last bit of water out). A couple nights ago we had some rain, and the bilge filled with maybe a couple gallons from the cockpit drains (I had removed the seacock valves temporarily), and I was able to pump all of that out no problem. I should probably pull the suction hose up and clean the strainer in any case.

I noticed that the outboard, which is in excellent shape ('08 Yamaha 4hp fourstroke), has a lot of scum and marine growth on the shaft. I tried scrubbing with soap and hot water but I may need to try Simple Green or something stronger. Anyway, is there an easy way to pull that thing up out of the water when the boat's just sitting on the mooring? I'm thinking it will last a whole lot longer if it's not bathed in salt water 6 months a year.
pjust

Post by pjust »

You'll run into a lot of Typhoons in Penobscot Bay -- mostly Weekenders, of course. Last weekend I counted two on the hard in the Spruce Head boatyard, one in the water by Hupper Island in Port Clyde, two on the hard and one in the water in Rockport harbor. I hope to be putting my own Weekender in the water at Spruce Head next year. Looking forward to seeing you afloat!
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

My first thought about growth on the outboard is bottom paint. I wonder if VC 17 or similar product would solve this problem. Maybe this question would be new post. There will be lots of CD 25 sailors who have addressed this. Here on Lake Superior, bottom paint is considered optional. We have very little growth.
roger

Post by roger »

Hi---Regarding the outboard. For the surface of the outboard which remains in the water I used Interlux Primocon ( a few coats ) and then Trilux 33 ( a few coats ). Works very well ---no growth. It is costly. Available only in quart size where I was shopping. Be sure to prep properly. Roger
kerlandsen

Post by kerlandsen »

For the old boat, I made a bracket that would wedge into the stairs. The procedure is to run the engine out of fuel. Lift it out of the well, move it into the cabin and onto the bracket. The lower unit ends up sitting in a bucket with a block of wood in it, to prevent damage to the sole. Bucket contains any cooling water.
The engine weight is on the block of wood. The engine itself is braced by the custom mount.

The mount wedges between the vertical 1" dia stainless rods that make up the side of the ladder. From there an angled part and then a vertical board that acts just like the a mounting bracket. The engine can be screwed tight onto the bracket.

engine is stored dry and does not corrode during the week in between weekends. This is not used overnights, just for medium term storage.

K

I think I posted pictures when I originally made this, try searching my name and see if they are there.
Uffda

Post by Uffda »

My Ty Sr., hull #49, does not have a bilge pump installed in the bilge. Could this have been an option when new? She's in the Keag River now, but getting hauled out tomorrow at Spruce Head Maine.