DRAGGING THROTTLE

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dixon Hemphill

DRAGGING THROTTLE

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

The throttle on my CD28 that controls the speed of my Yanmar 2GM20F is acting up. I set the speed at 2800 rpm and slowly the throttle lever moves and lowers the speed to 2500 rpm. I set it at 3000 and it slowly moves to around 2600 rpm.
The connections at the lever are tight so I think the problem is at the engine. Access to this part of the engine is next to impossible.

Any ideas and/or suggestions?
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Ron Churgin

Re: DRAGGING THROTTLE

Post by Ron Churgin »

This has happened on my boat. The fix was a small screw at the base of the throttle that needed to be tightened. It gives pressure against the throttle arm on the pedestal and keeps vibrations from causing the throttle to move.
Hope its a simple fix like this.
Ron Churgin
Dixon Hemphill

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Ron, is the screw at the engine? If so, how do I get at it?
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

if it is the problem I had, it is at the base of the throttle, where it pivots, should be easy to get to and find, if that is what the problem is.
Ron Churgin
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

oops, I missed the part in your first post that mentioned the lever connections are tight, sorry.
Ron Churgin
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

If everything is good, but it continues to do it ask your local dealer for a cable brake.
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
Dixon Hemphill

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Unlike the single remote control consisting of one handle that regulates both shift and speed my CD28 is equipped with two handles --- one for forward and reverse shifting and the other for speed. It's the speed control that slowly moves. I set my speed at 2800 rpm but it slowly reduces to 2500 rpm just by itself.

If anyone has this type of dual control and can tell me how to solve my problem please reply.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Dixon Hemphill wrote:Unlike the single remote control consisting of one handle that regulates both shift and speed my CD28 is equipped with two handles --- one for forward and reverse shifting and the other for speed. It's the speed control that slowly moves. I set my speed at 2800 rpm but it slowly reduces to 2500 rpm just by itself.

If anyone has this type of dual control and can tell me how to solve my problem please reply.
A solution: put a small hose clamp around the throttle cable's body and tighten slowly until the cable creep stops.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where we know a cable creep or two.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Dixon Hemphill

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Mitchell, sounds as tho you are on the right track but just where do I attach the hose clamp --- at the throttle itself or at the engine?

Excuse my ignorance but a "small hose clamp around the throttle cable body" could mean anywhere along the full length of the cable.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Dixon Hemphill wrote:Mitchell, sounds as tho you are on the right track but just where do I attach the hose clamp --- at the throttle itself or at the engine?

Excuse my ignorance but a "small hose clamp around the throttle cable body" could mean anywhere along the full length of the cable.
Dixon,
Put the clamp in a convenient location. It will need some initial adjustments. FYI: Mine is very near the engine.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where the rains have ended, BEFORE we matched the 40 days/40 nights record.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Ed Haley

Post by Ed Haley »

If you can't find a cable brake (which depresses the cable housing along an inch of the cable's length, then a small hose clamp will work OK. Change the position of the clamps each year (just move a couple inches or so along the length of the cable) so you don't wear the inside of the cable housing which would necessitate a cable replacement.