Typhoon Senior - How do they sail?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

cfairer

Typhoon Senior - How do they sail?

Post by cfairer »

Typhoon Senior - How do they sail? As compard to a standard Typhoon? I know it's got a longer waterline and should be a bit faster, but really, how do they feel? Why weren't they so popular as their little brother?
Gary H

Re: Typhoon Senior - How do they sail?

Post by Gary H »

I have recently begun sailing my 22D (same hull as a Ty Sr - only real difference is that the Ty Sr is a fractional rig while the 22 is a masthead rig) after sailing a Typhoon for the past 7 years, I can tell you that the 22 is an excellent sailing boat. A little faster than the Ty and IMHO points a bit higher. The tiller does require more effort than the Ty but that is because a Ty is effortless. The cockpit is more comfortable being significantly wider with deeper seats. I made the switch because I wanted a real cabin for an occasional overnight. So far, I am pleased. As to why they made so few, I can only guess that the cost for a 22 was significantly higher and the 22 was expensive for a boat that size. It would appear to me that the Ty Sr was an attempt to lower costs by eliminating the bronze opening portholes, the ash ceilings, some of the teak trim, and the sink and icebox. You can't go wrong with a Typhoon, Ty Sr, or CD22. All great boats - depends what you are looking for.
CDSOA Member 1389
casampson

Post by casampson »

Well, a week ago I was leaving port in my Typhoon, which my wife, a Kindergarten teacher, has decided to name "Clementine." At first I liked the name, an improvement of my own christening of "Albatross," but now I am not so sure. Anyway, I was right next to a good friend of mine who was sailing in his beautiful Ty Senior. The wind was fairly light, in the 5 - 7 mph range, and I beat him out of the harbor, and by quite a bit. The wind picked up after that, and he seemed to catch up a little, but, had it been a race, I would have won. I have been wondering about this remarkable result and am glad to have the opportunity to post about it. By the way, he had a genoa up and I was using just my working jib. He is also the better sailor, by far. So what could have made the difference in the performance of the boats? Looking forward to some feedback.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

I own a CD 22 and agree with Gary H.

In my experience with the Ty weekender that I owned then and the CD22 that I own now, I would sail away from me in my the Ty that I owned then if I were sailing the CD22 that I own now.

Maybe I'm using to many thens and nows to be clear about this. :D

Gary
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

I've sailed Puffin, Ty S #35 since 05, and am very happy.

They were in production for 2 years, and 57 were built, so approximately one every two weeks. The first sentence in the original Ty S sales brochure says, "A lot of thought went into this design."

One thing to understand is that Ty S has a very large mainsail. If you shop for a used mainsail you'll find that J-24 mains fit your boat. So, have 2 reef points in your main, and if you don't like reefing you'd probably be happier with a different boat.

I really like the motor well. I've had waves wash over the cabintop, but I've never had the prop come out of the water. Also, the rotation of the motor in the well is like a stern side thruster, very nimble around docks.

My congratulations to the Ty sailor who outsailed the Ty S sailor. He owed you a lot of time. I've always been very happy with Puffin's speed.
tmoroney75

Post by tmoroney75 »

I've been a happy owner of Ty Senior hull #1 since '05, and can tell you it's an excellent sailing boat.

She's surprisingly fast (5.5-6kts) with 100% jib and 15 kts beating upwind, albeit a little wet in choppy waves. I actually now prefer the working jib over my 155% genoa in all but a deep reach and very light winds, since it points higher and doesn't backwind the main sail when sailing close upwind.

As was already mentioned the main sail is relatively large and you'll need to reef at 15kts for a comfortable ride to reduce the excessive weather helm and balance the helm. A second reef point is probably a good idea for winds over 20-25.

Although I've never sailed a Ty and can't compare two from experience, the Ty Senior feels like a bigger boat and has a little more room below for weekend cruising.

Tom
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

tmoroney75 wrote:... the Ty Senior feels like a bigger boat and has a little more room below for weekend cruising.
It's quite refreshing to read that you don't need 35' of hull for weekend cruising.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698