1975 CD25 replacement portlights

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Astronomertoo

1975 CD25 replacement portlights

Post by Astronomertoo »

I am looking for suggestions for new portlight replacements for the old ones in our 1975 CD25. There are several styles installed n the CD25 early/middle years. I have not found ANY new opening ports to fit the longer cutouts for our 4 ea 21" long rear aluminum frames, for less than a kings ransom--and certainly not that long in bronze. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
BobC
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Re: 1975 CD25 replacement portlights

Post by Terry »

Hey, Bob,
Eventually I plan to replace Cassandra's, which are the same as yours. There is an article on Don Casey's website (I think I saw it there) about refitting using a different size port. Basically, it entails filling the hole and cutting it to size and mounting the new ones. There are a couple of sources of ports that are cheaper than the original bronze on later CD 25. I mentioned this some time as a possibility, and some comments were quite negative, e.g., why bother, sell it and get a larger boat with bronze ports already installed.

All the best. Terry
Jdpmus

Post by Jdpmus »

There is a detailed article in Don Casey's "Good Old Boat" that walks you through replacing and embedding the port lights.
Jdpmus

Post by Jdpmus »

Oops! Wrong name. Don's book is "This Old Boat"