Cape Dory 14 restoration help

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dan Kretzer
Location: Cape Dory 14, Sumpwams River Rowing Skiff, RKL Cedar Strip Canoe, Alden Ocean Shell

Cape Dory 14 restoration help

Post by Dan Kretzer »

Just acquired hull # 525. The best part of the boat is the nice original white gelcoat and the fact that it is complete. It has needs though, the rub-rails are falling off, and the sail is trash but that's all easily replaced.

I would like to know if the bottom of the mast originally had a plastic cap like you see on other small dinghy masts like Sunfish and Laser. The is a wear ridge at the foot of the mast-step from the hollow mast turning. I leveled the boat and poured a small amount of west system epoxy of about 3/16" to resurface the area.

My biggest concern is the transom. While it seems tight there are indications of some previous fiberglass resin fill at the top joint. Sounds solid when I tap on it but there is some minor flex at the very top. Since this boat has the moulded rear seat (but not a full liner that seems to be part of later CD 10s) I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with removing it to inspect and repair / replace the core of the transom. Looks like you could simply use a multi-tool to cut along the joint and then reinstall later with 5200 or 4200 adhesive.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Centerport, Long Island, NY