Chart Plotter for C/D 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: Chart Plotter for C/D 28

Post by Joe Myerson »

Zeida wrote:The Standard Horizon CPF-190i is a very sophisticated chartplotter with excellent features. Since I don't fish, I have the CP-190i, which I just bought. I did find it necessary to purchase the Max C-Map upgrade card to have access to all the information that is available in that little chart plotter. Since I have it mounted on the pedestal right by the steering wheel, I find the size of that particular model very convenient. It comes with a built-in antenna, which makes installation lots more simple - just hook it to power and you're ready!
:)

I couldn't put it any better than Zeida. The S/H CPF-190i with the appropriate C-Map upgrade has been perfect for me. There's also a model that comes with a fish finder/depth sounder. I didn't feel it was necessary for me but, based on the performance of the 190i, I'd say it's probably a great piece of hardware, too.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Re: Chart Plotter for C/D 28

Post by Ken Cave »

Hi there:

I have a three year old Toshiba Lap Top with Rosepoint Navigation (I wrote to to you concerning this excellent product before) and have a table that is mounted on the partition by the icebox and swivels out so it can be readily seen from the cockpit. This table also locks the computer in place which is useful in rough weather.

The sun does not bother it at all, and is out of the weather. I do have a dodger installed, and have my radar mounted
under the dodger as well as a Garmin GPS.

Frankly I really like the big screen (15 inch) on my laptop as I can also readily identify what is going to hit us with our AIS system that is connected to the computer and does a great job with Rosepoint! It even talks to us-and tells us that
we have "two minutes and forty seconds before impact" (female voice!) It even tells that we just might hit some rocks
as it also reads the map through the GPS connection.

Hope this helps

Ken Cave
CD 28 #227 (1979)