RF signal on backstay antenna.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

RF signal on backstay antenna.

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

What kind if pattern does the RF signal on a backstay put out. Is it like a dipole and the lobe is doughnut shape? If so then lobe facing the boat must bury it self into the water. Also if that is the case would turning the boat around to have the stern face the direction you want to xmit help? I know of very few people at the marina with sailboats who can xmit on their SSB’s in the slip but my trawler with a horizontal dipole does a great job.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
bottomscraper

Re: RF signal on backstay antenna.

Post by bottomscraper »

I think the bottom line is without extensive (probably impossible) modeling you will really never know. The radiation pattern will depend on the actual frequency and all the other conductors (mast, stays, railing ...) on your particular boat. I have found that on Mahalo SSB & some PSK31 communication on 10 meters (28 Mhz), 20 meters (14 Mhz) and 40 meters (7 Mhz) has worked rather well with a backstay antenna. I haven't had much luck with 80 meters and below. I only have ham no marine ssb.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com