CD 22 purchased and finally wet and sailing/bilge question.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

matane

CD 22 purchased and finally wet and sailing/bilge question.

Post by matane »

Hi Everyone,
I posted here a while back (december) and had some general questions on the smaller CDs. I decided on the CD22 because I did not want a well. I found one in Texas - and fortunately had a survey done before going from Miami to Galveston to finish the transaction. Lots of little and possibly big probs. I was willing to pay for a boat that was in very good condition/restored. After that deal fell apart I came across a broker representing a guy selling a CD22 who had it in dry storage on lake Ontario. He is or was a member here, but we could only communicate through the broker. Anyway- he was meticulous in getting the old bottom paint off without harming the gell coat, and then put on a barrier coat on the gell that was very dry since it was in storage. Then anti-foulant. I was going to outfit -which ever boat I bought- for handling semi-extended voyages and sailing solo. This boat was a miracle. The guy had installed everything on my dream list. He spent something like 3 years working on it- then because of health problems was not able to sail anymore. He through in almost all his old sailing equipment so I really have nothing to purchase for the most part. Lots of offshore stuff. She also came with a trailer and I had it hauled down here for a reasonable price. I had it put in my yard and I checked the inventory and got to know the boat on the hard. It also came with a 9.9 honda 4 stroke- essentially unused- that has a generator/alternator that charges the battery. The cheapest place to lift it in was on the Miami river- and quite a ways up. So when it came time to motor it down river and out to Biscayne Bay I got very nervous. The only experience I had with an outboard and tiller was on my Ty in Maine- but the engine was an old 2hp. Not a great experience with the tides. But I had it lifted in and had to call about 5 bridges to open and everything worked out much better than I thought it would. The engine runs good. I have had health problems myself and the first time I took it out was a disaster. I had not sailed a sloop in a while. I never had a lot of experience sailing sloops. All the running gear and standing is new- sails as well. That first time (of course I chose a blaring hot day in Mid July) I wore myself out getting the sails up to the point where I thought I had a heart attack. Not a great experience. I was quite gun shy after this. All my dreams seemed to be dreams and would go no further than that. But then last week I pushed myself and took it out and calmly put things together, raised the main, and prior to raising the foresail (hank on) I strung to lines properly on each side and- voila. I was sailing. Perfect winds for a first voyage- 10-12knts. I learned to hove to so I could rest etc. Then I went out on yesterday and the wind had picked up to 15-20 more or less. Definitely more challenging. But I managed to get the sails up and sailed for a few hours before being fried by the sun. I have a lot to learn about trim. I do get quite a bit of weather helm.
Question: As I was motoring out yesterday, I noticed she was heavy. While it was in my yard I had dried out what little water was in the bilge, and there was no more after that. It rained quite a bit while it was at the house. But no water re-appeared. But yesterday I could feel a difference in the boat.
I decided it might be a good idea to check the bilge- but I did not expect to see anything. I went down below and to my surprise there was quite a bit- fresh water, not salt. Fortunately, the bilge on this boat is small so the quantity was less than appeared. It still was much more than expected. I manually pumped it out in 5 min.
So here is the thing: This boat is ultra simple. I thought maybe water was getting in through the anchor chain cap on deck. But the locker does not have a drain that goes to the bilge from what I can see. The scuppers go directly to brass fittings then to hose then to brass through hull valves. From what I can see none of this passes through the bilge, and the hoses aren't leaking otherwise I would see a stream of water in the cabin under the companion way. The cabin is dry and water does not get in. So I am at a loss. Has anyone had this kind of experience with the smaller CDs with no inboard? Otherwise she's a great boat, and the previous owner a great guy. Very generous. I don't know if he still comes around here. Tom from Henderson, NY. Thanks everyone.
Gary H

Re: CD 22 purchased and finally wet and sailing/bilge questi

Post by Gary H »

I have been renovating a CD22D for the past three years on the hard. (It may splash Wednesday!!!)
I, also, would have a full bilge after heavy rain. Turns out it was coming from the starboard cockpit locker.
On the 22D, there is a teak frame under the locker cover which frames the interior opening into the locker.
The teak frame must be carefully sealed with sealant. On my boat, the frame did not appear to fit perfectly creating a gap. The rainwater is designed to go around the teak frame and empty into the cockpit. If the frame is not completely sealed, the water goes directly into the locker and down to the bilge. The 22 configuration is probably a little different than the 22 D.

As to your weather helm, what was your sail configuration?

Gary
CDSOA Member 1389
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Gary H wrote:I, also, would have a full bilge after heavy rain. Turns out it was coming from the starboard cockpit locker.
On the 22D, there is a teak frame under the locker cover which frames the interior opening into the locker.
The teak frame must be carefully sealed with sealant. On my boat, the frame did not appear to fit perfectly creating a gap. The rainwater is designed to go around the teak frame and empty into the cockpit. If the frame is not completely sealed, the water goes directly into the locker and down to the bilge. The 22 configuration is probably a little different than the 22 D.

As to your weather helm, what was your sail configuration?

Gary
I discovered exactly the same on my CD 25D, only it was the port side cockpit locker. Once I caulked around the underside of the teak frame I eliminated 95% of the water in the bilge and engine sump area. I used BoatLife Caulk (white). I am still "on the hunt" for the source of the remaining 5%. :!: :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

That wood frame in the cockpit locker needs sealant and on mine has some rot....look at that carefully...I used hank on sails on my 22 for 3 yrs...I then purchased a cdi furler with a 150 north sail...if you you are having some health issues I highly recommend this conversion for you...makes sailing 50% easier and safer....I maybe look at a furler stronger than a cdi however....Mine is ok for inland sailing but out on open water I would be looking for a stronger unit or a size too big cdi unit...by the way all I get in my bilge is cob webs and dead bugs....boats on a ball...have fun
matane

Post by matane »

Thanks Gary, Seahunt and Shave-
Its a relief to read your comments. My boat is moored now, but I go out quite a bit to do stuff. So I went out today and checked everything. I looked at the anchor storage and there's no hole that goes to the bilge. I looked at the water tank under the v-birth. The top is off (and gone unfortunately) but the container is bone dry- so that was not the source. One of the first things I did was check the starboard locker. I have a bunch of fenders in there. I removed them all and ... apparently did not see a drainage hole. And it was dry as well (it has not rained much the last week or so). I was pretty sure that was where it must be coming from, but a quick (and faulty) glance seemed to indicate that the water ran out down channels on either side and it was not the source of water. The wood you mention was dry. Then... a miracle happened. It started to rain! I still did not think it was that locker so I was checking everywhere and could not see any leaks. Then I went back out to the locker- and exactly as you all said- I saw the leak going behind the wood. I was surprised coz it dripped quite a bit.
So, thanks be to Poseidon this is likely the problem. Nothing major. Otherwise- How do you like your CD22 Gary? I really love my boat. Its a bit cramped inside, but it is a tight and tough boat. I still have lots to learn on proper sail trimming and I have to try and design one of those tiller to sheet self steering systems so I can move about without having to hove-to. I have a roller furler w/130 genoa (new in the box and bag-came w/the boat) but I want to use hank on for now. It also came with a new hank 100 jib along with some old hank foresails. Having said that...at the end of each day...the roller is becoming more and more appealing! This last bit of exertion w/bow bucking up and down wears me out. I definitely have not mastered the foresail rolling/folding I'm not using lazy jacks either so "flaking" the main is a bit messy. But I really love the boat.
Thanks for the info both of you! This reassures me that it probably is only the locker. The smaller CDs are incredible boats. That 25D is really nice, but I did not want to deal with a diesel at this point in time. I had seriously considered getting one. They are not all that easy to find either.
PS- I am curious as to how inconvenient a bimini will be because of the hight of the boom. I have to figure something out because I am being fried. Even in the winter here you get fried. On the other hand- regardless of the time of the year-if you are in the shade on the water the breeze makes for a comfortable trip. Thanks again!
bamabratsche

Post by bamabratsche »

I've experimented with sheet-to-tiller steering on the Typhoon, and it is kind of cool but also finicky. Basically, it seems to work ok when there's enough wind and I'm sailing anywhere from a reach to close-hauled, but it takes a long to time to get everything adjusted to where it all truly balances out without input from me. Maybe I just need more practice. It's nice under the right conditions if I'm out on the Bay and can go for a long time without tacking, though.

roger

Post by roger »

Regarding the Bimini----I have a Bimini/dodger on my 22 with the boom kept just below the slot with sail slide stops and the down haul. The luff length has been adjusted at the head so the main fits well with the Bimini. PM me with your e mail address if you would like me to send photos. I am 5 ft 10 in. and sit comfortably under the bim or fold it down if the sun is not too intense. The dodger component is a big plus on the choppy water days. RJ
NateHanson

Post by NateHanson »

Roger, I'd love to see pictures of your dodger if you have some. I'd like a dodger on my 22, and I'm curious about how it would look, and how to design it.