Re-powering 33' Cape Dory

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Brigadoon

Re-powering 33' Cape Dory

Post by Brigadoon »

Hi,

I have a 1981 33' Cape Dory powered by a Volvo Penta MD 11C. I am planning to re-power in the next few years (if the Volvo lasts that long) and would like to know what others who have re-powered the Volvo engine have done. What replacement engine have you used? Problems, successes, failures, costs, suggestions, ideas ...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brigadoon
joemerchant

Re: Re-powering 33' Cape Dory

Post by joemerchant »

The old MD11 is a pretty bullet proof engine, would probably stop a mortar.

Check out Beta Marine. This is the direction I believe we are going as soon as we have a couple more thousand in the cookie jar.

Farron Peffer

BETA MARINE US Ltd.
11702 Hwy 306 South
Minnesott Beach, NC 28510

www.betamarine.net

Tel: (877) 227 2473 (toll free)
Tel: (252) 249 2473
Fax: (252) 249 0049
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Stanley and Farron got all of my cookies!

Great engines, wonderful service from Beta NC. Others, such as Joe Demers and Ben Thomas were also very helpful.

Dropping a 20 in there will put your boat on a 200 Lb. diet too. Beta engines are significantly lighter than the Volvo mooring blocks.

See my other thread in the projects section.
Johnlindac

Post by Johnlindac »

heading to canal (3).JPG
heading to canal (3).JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 837 times
Repowered my 33 in 2009 with Universal M25XPB 3 Cylinder Diesel. My mechanic felt it was the best option. Let me know if any questions or any details needed.
Regards,
John Campbell
"Silhouette"
Cohasset MA
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Johnlindac wrote:Repowered my 33 in 2009 with Universal M25XPB 3 Cylinder Diesel. My mechanic felt it was the best option. Let me know if any questions or any details needed.
Regards,
John Campbell
"Silhouette"
Cohasset MA
John, I repowered with the M25XPB back in 2007. I have the 31 so I have less displacement than you. What prop do you have? I still have the original three bladed 15X12 if I'm reading the stamp correctly. It's not very clear. I'm not really considering replacing my prop but I am curious.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Johnlindac

Post by Johnlindac »

Cannot access prop due to snow. However it is the 3 blade that I believe was original to the boat in 1980. Will try to get to it tomorrow (warmer weather due and will check for detail then and let you know.
Regards,
Johnlindac

Post by Johnlindac »

Not knowing exactly what to look for, the only markings on my 3 blade prop are "Michigan Sailor, number 371216 and what appears as 01 09. Hopes this helps.
Regards,
John
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Sorry to be late posting on this thread.

You may have another option:

Our prior owner considered re powering, but his mechanic thought it unnecessary. The engine did not have excessive hours, but there were hints of valve, injector and head gasket issues. So, the PO just had the head only rebuilt, including the injector pump. The old Universal runs great with plenty of power. The total cost was $4500 with labor, including new prop shaft, cutlass bearing and drip less box and replacing the heavier cables.

Those Betas are nice, though, and a bit easier to service. Not so pricey as the Westerbeke, and probably the same block.

Enjoy that 33, a gorgeous design.

Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Make sure you consider how easy it will be to get to the service item, impeller, oil filter, dipstick, etc. on whatever engine you decide on.

I repowered replacing a Westerbeke 46 with a Westerbeke 55. The impeller on the new engine was in an impossible position to replace with out removing the water pump and one hose. It may have been perfectly placed in another application. Ultimately I went with a a crank mounted water pump which is right behind the access panel. A 1000 times easier to get to.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

We put in a Beta 25.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC