Video from my last crossing

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Video from my last crossing

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Here is a video from my last crossing where I found an abandoned sailboat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtlnhSzHhss
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Re: Video from my last crossing

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Kevin,

Did you learn anymore about what happened aboard the boat? The red paint seemed very strange.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

They were rescued from the boat 3 day prior. I had waited in port for a blow to move through so I assume they were caught in it. I did contact the person listed as the owner who said he sold the boat to a couple who were going to sail it from Houston home to New Orleans? He said they left with little weather information.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Post by RIKanaka »

I wonder if they splashed the red paint on it prior to being rescued to make the boat easier to spot from the air.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Maybe the red paint was just badly secured on deck.

What was the value of the boat, assuming the damage was cosmetic? It's a long way to tow, I know.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Post by RIKanaka »

But why would you have red paint on the deck? Unless the boat was torn away from a dock by the storm? The mystery deepens.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Kevin Kaldenbach

I would have to think that the paint and the pfd were someone’s Idea of how to mark the boat either to draw attention or for a future attempt to salvage it. Everyone asks, why did I not salvage the boat. I don’t know that Neptune wanted me to help myself to someone else’s misery. Second I looked at my Cape Dory then the Hunter and decided I was not going to scuttle my Cape Dory to own a Hunter.
Kevin
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us