EZPoxy2 paint

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

EZPoxy2 paint

Post by Troy Scott »

Has anyone tried this relatively new "two part, silicone/polyurethane"? :D
Regards,
Troy Scott
Russell

Re: EZPoxy2 paint

Post by Russell »

Troy Scott wrote:Has anyone tried this relatively new "two part, silicone/polyurethane"? :D
I have used it. I helped Andy Denmark paint his boot strip with it, then I just recently painted my fridge with it after reinsulating it.

The price is nice on it and the mix ratio is very forgiving. It does not brush out well though, its a very thick paint when compared to your more typical 2 part paints. I opted to spray it for my fridge and it worked nicely (using the petite spray thinner).

An oddity with it is in the part 2 can are foil packets, rather then just a can full of the stuff. Once you open one of the foil packets (there are 2) and you do not use the whole thing, say if you are only using a 1/4 can of paint, you cant really reseal the packet, I found this annoying and would have rather just had the stuff in a can that can be resealed that I can measure out of.

Price really is the main reason I chose it, it comes out to less then half the price of anything else.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
bamabratsche

Post by bamabratsche »

Did it seem harder once it dried than a normal one-part like Brightsides? I've been thinking about painting my cabin interior, but while I've been pretty happy with the Brightsides I used on the topsides, I'm not sure it would hold up that well to locker lids sliding around, bumps while stowing the anchor, etc. I would not be super concerned about getting a perfectly smooth result down there if I knew it was going to hold up better than other options.
Russell

Post by Russell »

bamabratsche wrote:Did it seem harder once it dried than a normal one-part like Brightsides? I've been thinking about painting my cabin interior, but while I've been pretty happy with the Brightsides I used on the topsides, I'm not sure it would hold up that well to locker lids sliding around, bumps while stowing the anchor, etc. I would not be super concerned about getting a perfectly smooth result down there if I knew it was going to hold up better than other options.
Its definately harder and more durable then brightside and other one part paints, which is why I used it for my fridge where it will take a lot of abuse. It will work well for the interior. I recommend waiting for cool weather to do it though if you are going to brush it on, the stuff kicks pretty quick and you could easily drag your brush through partially cured paint and make a mess of it (paint kicks of faster in warmer weather). And definately thin it a bit.
Russell
bamabratsche

Post by bamabratsche »

Cool, I may give it a try in that case. This would probably be a fall or early spring project depending on what the weather ends up doing this year.

Does it use the same brain-eating solvents as other 2-part paints? That has been my other concern, since there is very little in the way of ventilation in a Typhoon cabin, and even with a respirator I would be a little worried about the concentrations of fumes that would build up in there. I had also considered using the System 3 WR-LPU since it is water-based, but it seems to get mixed reviews. The good news with the WR-LPU is that is seems to really like humidity, which would be a plus on the Chesapeake, and is apparently quite durable, but people say it is tricky to get right.

Troy, sorry to hijack your thread!
Russell

Post by Russell »

Yes, the solvents are certainly brain eating, I foolishly was not wearing a respirator when I sprayed it, just a paper mask, and I definately got a good buzz going before I realized I should step outside. Brushing it wouldnt be as bad, since you are not arisolizing it(is that the right word? certainly spelled wrong if it is), but it will still be putting off plenty of fumes as its curing, but I think you will be fine if all hatches are fully open and wearing a proper respirator. When we brushed Andys boot sprite, outside, no mask or anything, it was not at all an issue.

Petite also makes another paint, specificly for interiors with mildew inhibitors in it, have you considered that? Its called EZ Cabin-Coat, its water based and they claim it sticks even to glossy surfaces without having to sand. I would be tempted to try this out if I was you (but I would still sand regardless of the claims), I am thinking of painting the insides of a few cabinets with it but I do not yet have first hand experience with it.
Russell
Troy Scott

Post by Troy Scott »

Russell, thanks for the input! I think that if I use this, I will thin it to help the brush marks flow out. I will also use a fresh air respirator and plenty of ventilation. I will choose cool, dry weather.

bamabratsche,
You didn't hijack, you illuminated! All the better!
Regards,
Troy Scott
Russell

Post by Russell »

Troy, what are you using it for? The hull? I know you were debating for awhile what to paint the hull with.
Russell
Troy Scott

Post by Troy Scott »

Russell, I don't think I will use it. I think it's probably an OK product, but vendors with whom I've spoken seem in agreement that it is a step above Brightside, and a step below Perfection. This may or may not be true. Fact is, I've already calculated what I need to buy from Tom Fabula/Signature Finish. I've tested/tried several paints, and Tom's paint works best for me. It's relatively easy to apply, and mistakes can be sanded and buffed. The final finish is very durable.

My project got sidetracked; life got in the way. But I'm on it now.

About the EZPoxy2, I have been curious about it since I first heard about it, but I really need to just stop over-thinking this paint thing and just do it! :)
Regards,
Troy Scott
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Troy, I'd be interested to hear more regarding your experience with 'signature paints'.
I spoke with Tom a few years back and was impressed with his shpeal but for lack of hands on look I didn't pursue it further.
Sounded good though.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
Troy Scott

Post by Troy Scott »

Bluesails,
In my tests, Tom's paint is definitely user friendly. He is a chemist, and he knows the subject. He is very friendly and he will answer questions one-on-one with no BS.
He wrote the instructions, and they have obviously evolved over the years. There are many options for various situations. He will sell you a small quantitity with all the bits and pieces necessary to get a feel for the paint.
If you want to try it, order enough to paint the transom. You can use any color from any standard marine paint manufacturer, so you can match the original color very well, if you want to.
Read and follow his instructions exactly, except the joke he includes about leaving the boat dirty so you can tell where you sanded. I'm sure that's a joke, but folks have taken it seriously.
I have not painted the whole boat, but I've worked on some sections enough to trust it. For example, I painted the entire head, even the countertops. I've done the propane locker, which I modified to store a small Yamaha generator.
One real plus with this paint is that it's not prone to blister if left wet. That's a serious problem with many polyurethanes.
With any of these paints, you need to use a forced air fresh-air breathing system. Really. Good luck!
Regards,
Troy Scott
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Thanks Troy,
My understanding is it's a 2 part acrylic polyurethane......?
does it require a compatible primer ?
How did you apply it, brush, roll/tip or spray
pot life ?
Ron
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
Troy Scott

Post by Troy Scott »

Bluesails,
Signature finish paint can be applied to clean and well-sanded gelcoat, or over most one or two part, properly sanded primers or existing paints in decent condition.
The pot life is very reasonable, but directly variable with temperature.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Troy Scott

Post by Troy Scott »

Bluesails,
I rolled and tipped.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »