Sailing magazine and Cape Dory 25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Sailing magazine and Cape Dory 25

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Every issue of Sailing magazine (the large mag with the large color photos of sailboats) highlights a "used" sailboat. In the most recent issue (July/August 2013) they have an excellent article on the Cape Dory 25. The article discusses the history of the CD 25, sailing characteristics, "value" of the CD 25, etc. For anyone who owns a CD 25 or is thinking of buying one, this is a good article to read.

There are a few minor errors in the article - at least I think so from my limited knowledge. In discussing the differences between the CD 25 and the CD 25D, the article says the CD 25D was first launched in 1983. I am pretty sure my CD 25D (S/V Bali Ha'i) is a 1982. I also seem to recall looking at a 1981 CD 25D during my search.

The article also says all CD 25s have bronze portlights. I think in the early years CD 25s had plastic portlights.

Overall, excellent article.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
bill2

Re: Sailing magazine and Cape Dory 25

Post by bill2 »

Hey Robert

I agree - I think you could say all cd25d 's had bronze portlights. However I've seen a fair number of early cd25 's with plastic and aluminum portlights. I think the changeover was about 1979 give or take - tho I don't recall where I saw that written down. I 'm occasionally on a 1980 cd25 with bronze portlights :-)

Hope you're not getting the frequent T-storms we're seeing around here .

Fair Winds
Bill
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

bill2 wrote:Hope you're not getting the frequent T-storms we're seeing around here .

Fair Winds
Bill
Bill:

Not sure where you are homeported but yes SE Florida has been getting daily heavy rain bands coming through for the past 8-10 days. It looks like we have a few more days of it. Sadly, we also have had high winds (18-22 kts) (at least high for me :) ) and thus no sailing and no diving. :cry: :cry:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
bill2

Post by bill2 »

Hey Robert

Mostly I move between Chesapeake Bay to Dela Rr to NJ and dabble off LI, NY - tho - this year I'm sad to say I'm still on the hard - very frequent rain / T-storms and " chores " being the prominent culprits . Our current forecast is for 10 - ten - straight days of T-storms and has been pretty much like this since I can remember ( sometime early this year ? ? ? leastways it feels like it )

Fair Winds - and sunny skies !

Bill
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Getting back to the matter of articles on the CD25:

Waiting in my doctor's office this morning (nothing serious, if anyone cares), I grabbed a copy of the July issue of Points East, a nice little freebie that is usually handed out at marinas in the Northeast. In it is an article about a father-and-son team bonding by sailing their CD25 from the Maine mainland to Monhegan Island.

What was Points East doing in a waiting room in landlocked Bolton, MA? One of the staff there is a niece of Joe Burke, the publisher. It sure beats reading year-old copies of People or Us.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627