CD25 scuppers

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

becca

CD25 scuppers

Post by becca »

Has anyone else tried to replace the hoses connecting scuppers to thru hulls and found that the fiberglass piece that extends from under the drain is totally worn out? They seem to be a shape somewhere between round and octagonal, looks like maybe years of over tightening the hose clamps have worn them down. So I took the old (leaking) hoses off and was unable to get enough bite with the new hose to attach it, even with a heat gun on the hose, acrobatic contortions and cussing. How else should I go about it? In the meantime I plugged the scuppers and will be bailing every time it rains....any suggestions?
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: CD25 scuppers

Post by Oswego John »

Hi becca,

I guess that it goes without saying, new cockpit drain fittings would do the job.

Other than installing new sole fittings, I wonder if you could, in some manner, epoxy a short piece of plastic pipe to the underside of the fitting, much like a coupling. Then epoxy a short stub of pipe inside of the coupling which the hose would be clamped to.

Just a thought.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Hi beck.The same thing happened to me last year when I swapped the old gate valves.I bought a brass fitting from West Marine $40 .I had to borrow whole saw(half inch?) to make the scupper opening larger which is no big deal. I will try to get the part number for you later today.
Pete
becca

Post by becca »

I'll be heading to West Marine this afternoon to look for new fittings - Pete that would be great if you have the part number for what you used!

Thank you!!
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Becca try 356453 .let me know if that is the wrong number I will try to get you the right one
Pete
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Same here. Drilled out the old and replaced with Perko # 0331DP5PLB, West Marine model no. 113250,
but WM 356453 should work just the same.
Bring a section of hose with you to get the fit you like.
dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Hi guys,
I am getting close to working on my scupper systems in our "new" 1975 CD25 hull 239. The hoses, scuppers and thru hulls are all 3/4" and poor condition. If I have to take it all apart I would like to do as many have recommended, and increase the size to 1" OD. Has anyone out here done that that to their boat?
Also, the tough part is bending a stiff hose around in the short distance between the two. Have any of you found a safe reliable hose that is flexible enough for this job, and have you incorporated bronze 90 degree ELLs for this?
Thanks
BobC
Moonshine :?:
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida