Rig-Rite, again

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Rig-Rite, again

Post by Joe Myerson »

OK, I guess this is really just a continuation of an old thread.

More than two weeks ago I placed an order with Rig-Rite for the gooseneck and toggle for my 1982 25D. Following advice on this board, I spent about an hour poring over the company's website to be absolutely certain that I had the correct part numbers. Then I placed the order by phone. I was told the parts would be ready in "two to three weeks."

Starting Monday, I've been leaving messages at the Rig-Rite "customer service" line, which promises that the company "will get back to you as soon as we can." To date, I've heard nothing, and, if I remember correctly, others have complained of the same treatment.

Would it help if I drove to Rhode Island and asked somebody in person? Am I going to get these parts before the season ends?

Sorry if I sound petulant and frustrated, but I am. I want to go sailing ...

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
joemerchant

Re: Rig-Rite, again

Post by joemerchant »

I have found that 2-3 weeks from anything marine related usually means at least that. Throw in the start of the season, a better than anticipated start of the season for many vendors (sign of an improving economy), and what sounds like a part they had to produce on order.

I think if you get it within 30 days of ordering, count it good and try and put yourself in the vendors shoes and nicely keep pushing them to get it to you as fast as possible (be the squeaky wheel). Timing here seems unfortunate, but on the bright side, you are not on an island with an expiring visa with the marine distributer looking at you and saying - irie man, soon come...
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

Thanks, Joe. You've provided a bit of perspective to my agony. I am calling every day, trying to sound patient. I'm sure the part is being manufactured, because how much demand can there be for a 32-year-old part? Grrrrrrr!
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
gvanbell

Post by gvanbell »

I ordered several components for the rig on our 27 and also our Typhoon Weekender. I eventually got what I needed, but your experience with the "we'll get back to you" situation is, I believe, par for the Rig-Rite course. And it is not normal in any industry, even marine supplies. Unfortunately I don't have a great answer since they own all of the patents and molds for the Cape Dory rigging. You can't exactly go across town and get it from someone else.

I ended up with all of the proper pieces after several attempts. On my first call I rattled off the parts I needed, and the woman parroted them back to me. Until we halfway down the list and came to one that didn't show "in stock" on her computer. She at that point basically hung up on me after getting my phone number and saying "one of the guys" would get back to me. I would have rather had the option to ship the rest of my order and wait on the out of stock part so that I could at least start work on the project. Of course I never heard back.

I called a week later and got the same woman (I believe it is a two or three person operation). This time I placed the order and she just input everything and took my credit card number.

I got some of the order in about a week. The rest trickled in over a month's time. The part she originally had to ask the "guys" about never showed, though I was charged for it.

Maddening. I finally ended up having the missing part cast here in Seattle (cheaper, actually, and now I have a great machine shop to work with later if needed). The truth is, though, that I would have shopped with them more and replaced more of my rig had the experience been less painful.

If a machine shop can turn around a part in a week for 20% less, there is simply no excuse for a month-long wait for a part that is typically a "stock" item.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the answer is. Sometimes they are the only ones with the parts.

-g
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

G:
Well, I spoke to a woman who took my order, my credit card number and told me "two to three weeks" some two or three weeks ago. It looks like I haven't been billed yet for the damn thing. I'm still struggling to extract the old piece, which I might just send to a local machine shop. If worse comes to worse, I could probably get another season out of the present part if I turn it over, as all the wear was on the side where gravity pressed the boom against the gooseneck.
It's really awful to deal with folks who don't seem to know what the words "customer service" means. Usually you associate it with a large corporation, but this outfit seems to be a one- or two-person operation. Too bad they couldn't be like Rigging Only, which is also a small shop.
Today is a perfect summer sailing day, and I'm watching everybody else go out on the bay.
What more can I say?
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Russell

Post by Russell »

I am always amazed that people continue to deal with Rig-Rite, there has been stories of exactly this treatment on these boards for years now. Just about anything you might need from them can be obtained elsewhere, maybe not an exact match, but more then likely an improved piece rather then 30 year old stuff.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
gvanbell

Post by gvanbell »

Russell,

I agree, and if had been doing a bigger re-rigging project I would have had it all done a different way. But components like the mast head truck, boom fittings, etc...it SEEMED easier to just get factory parts.

Not so much.

-g
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

UNBELIEVABLE!
After leaving questions on the appropriate phone line at least twice a week, I finally called another line and spoke with a person (if that's the right term for this female creature). She told me it would be "at least two weeks," because my parts were "in process." When I asked if they were being made from scratch, she said "That's right."
Obviously, these clowns had not even started production on my gooseneck parts.

Russell, as usual, is the voice of experience here. Why would anybody on this board, or anywhere else, waste their time dealing with these people? They are the only unresponsive people I have ever dealt with in the sailboat business.

--Joe
P.S. anybody know of a good machine shop in SE/Eastern Mass.?
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Joe Myerson wrote:
--Joe
P.S. anybody know of a good machine shop in SE/Eastern Mass.?
Keith Fenner has a machine shop down your way. I don't know him personally but I find his videos rather interesting. I guess he does a significant amount of shaft, prop and other marine work. Also tractors, church bells and ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/KEF791/about
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

I've heard nothing but complaints about them. I've ordered a few parts from them and have had no problems, but they've been minor things (light mounts, boom ends, etc).

Out of curiosity, if you had to order a new spar all together, where would you go? (I know dwyer has a good reputation, but they don't make spars to fit a CD27 :/)
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

Just a guess, but I would think if you ordered parts, or even spars, from them during the off-season and gave them a few months to make them, or whatever they do, you'd have no problem. They might even have some parts in inventory, but not mine.

It's the lack of responsiveness that bothers me more than the delays: They have an option on their answer line that is supposedly for "If you've ordered a part." But they just don't respond. So I called the "new orders" line and got a live person who grudgingly looked up my order. Pretty shoddy all around.

I do understand that they are a very small operation, but if they're not going to answer their query line, they shouldn't have one.

I've never launched this late in the season before, and now I know I'm going to be even later. :cry:

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Shinok wrote:Out of curiosity, if you had to order a new spar all together, where would you go? (I know dwyer has a good reputation, but they don't make spars to fit a CD27 :/)
Some time back Dwyer sent me a cross section of their boom that was reported to match the OEM boom section on my 25D. It was a perfect match. I was going to order a wench base to mount on the boom and wanted to know if the Dwyer base would fit the Spartan Spar. They gladly provided the cross section & they were leaving the the Annapolis Boat Show the next morning. They mailed it that day.

They would definitely be worth talking to and certainly before I dealt with Rigrite.

JMTCW

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Doug Hill

Post by Doug Hill »

At the risk of piling on, I won't share the gory details of my Rig-Rite experience except that it pretty much mirrors the rest. After pitching a fit I did get my money back from them (credit card credit). How they stay in business is a curiosity.

Went to Dwyer. Got what I needed and they said thanks for my business. Problem solved, no muss no fuss.
Doug Hill
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Rainy day in Miami.

What amazes me is not their lack of customer service but how, with apparently zero customer service, they have stayed in business for more than 50 years. It is a puzzle.

A section of their website states:

"All orders are shipped as quickly as possible. Many parts orders received before noon EST will ship that same day, most of the rest, within 2-3 days. If longer delays are anticipated, you will be notified."

If the comments I have read on this board about Rig Rite over the past several years are even close to accurate it would seem like the above statement is laughably false.

Another section of their website seems to suggest they deal primarily with professional riggers.

This website was designed to assist Marine Professionals by providing Systems Data and Parts . . . There is no substitute for having your boat maintenance and hardware additions performed by a Rigger, Boatyard, or other local Marine Professional. (Underlining in original)

Maybe they just do not like dealing with individual boat owners (and DIYers) and only want to deal with "professionals". If you are "just a boat owner" your work order gets put at the bottom of the list.

Who knows. Somehow they stay in business. A sad commentary on our business society.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Joe Myerson

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:
Another section of their website seems to suggest they deal primarily with professional riggers.

This website was designed to assist Marine Professionals by providing Systems Data and Parts . . . There is no substitute for having your boat maintenance and hardware additions performed by a Rigger, Boatyard, or other local Marine Professional. (Underlining in original)
Robert,
That's interesting, because in desperation I called my neighborhood boat yard (literally my neighbor), and the yard manager said, "Oh yeah, Rig-Rite, they're a real pain to deal with." If I can get the part off the mast, my neighbors will fabricate a duplicate. It won't be cheap, but I know they'll do it.
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627