Cruising the San Juans

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: bobdugan

David Patterson

Cruising the San Juans

Post by David Patterson »

image.jpg
image.jpg (595.51 KiB) Viewed 923 times
A CD25D and a CD32 have an unplanned meeting in Parks Bay, Shaw Island of the San Juans, 4/24/13.
gvanbell

Re: Cruising the San Juans

Post by gvanbell »

Lovely! Where are you moored? Not a lot of CDs in Puget Sound. Always nice to see a few others.

We're currently in Edmonds, FYI.

-g
David Patterson

That was lovely to see another CD, and a 32 at that, by serendipity. I'm not moored anywhere. At. 63 I seem to have slipped my moorings, living a mostle peripatetic life. Today I happen to be back in The bay pictured, Parks of Shaw Island, after a 10 day cruise with my next oldest sister. Next up will probably be Ganges on Salt Spring Island, where the North West Alberg Rendezvous is June 21-23. I'm hoping to cure my "two-foot-itis" within a couple of years, so I want to see other Alberg designs first hand. My first visit to the Gulf Islands if I get it done. Are we likely to cross paths in the San Juans? Port Townsend?
gvanbell

Post by gvanbell »

Very likely! We are "cruising" to Hood Canal for the week of Fourth of July (mooring buoy in my dad's community is a nice perk) but after that should head north for a bit. Just got back from a night in Blind Bay.

You have to cross north into the Gulf Islands. Montague Harbour is one of the finest experiences you can ask for. There's a Pub Bus to get you across the island to the tavern. On weekends a bakery boat pulls in with fresh bread and rolls first thing in the morning. Just delightful.

And Winter Cove on Saturna Island might be the best anchorage going (especially if you get there during the week).

Hope you make it up there. It's glorious.

g
David Patterson

I'll find out about Winter Cove then. I'm eager for the Gulf Islands and beyond. Spent a night in Blind Bay late last fall. Came out of Harney into Upright and 25 knots of wind. Turned right back to Blind Bay for the night. I intend to be at Sucia the second weekend of July and Port Townsend the third. Perhaps we could connect by email and keep each other informed. Getting to know other NW cruisers is a pleasure.