New Sailing Movie

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

New Sailing Movie

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

This may be an interesting movie worth seeing when it is available.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-tal ... 08350.html

Inexplicably, I was not offered the lead role even though my SAG card and dues are up to date.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Steve Laume

Re: New Sailing Movie

Post by Steve Laume »

This seems like a great combination of actor and plot. There are not that many realistic modern sailing movies. It would be nice to think they got their details right, unlike this quote from the review, "He plays an unnamed man piloting a yacht in the Indian Ocean, whose vessel is struck by a shipping container, tearing a hole in its hull". You definitely have to watch out for those shipping containers when they run at you at a high rate of speed. After this movie comes out all my friends will be even more worried about those containers but it is better than blaming it on a whale.

If I was in the same situation there would be much more talking and the shouting at the beginning wouldn't make for a general admission film, Steve.
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Stories like these generate uncomfortable questions from the Mrs.
I then remind her that she doesn't believe that I will finish the refurbishment anyway, so why worry.

For a true life story an incident where a cruising boat was struck by a commercial ship and her crew left to die, read "Ten Degrees of Reckoning" by Hester Rumberg.
I believe it will be more informative.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Inexplicably, I was not offered the lead role even though my SAG card and dues are up to date.
I'm shocked! Many here would agree that you'd be high on our list of "most likely to be shipwrecked."
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

Any guesses on what the boat is in the photograph?
rorik

Post by rorik »

I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Sea Hunt Video wrote:Inexplicably, I was not offered the lead role even though my SAG card and dues are up to date.
I'm shocked! Many here would agree that you'd be high on our list of "most likely to be shipwrecked."
Vice Commodore Neil:

Once again, hey, I "resemble" that remark :!: :!: :D :D :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Russell

Post by Russell »

I have never seen a good sailing movie, they all go way off the mark as far as accuracy or they are just stupid triller movies.

This one though, I will give a shot. If they can do the whole movie (basicly sounds like that Castaway movie, but on a boat instead) and still keep it realistic and accurate, I might like it. But chances are, they will overdo things for hollywood effect and dumb down the sailing parts. The fact that it is a major hollywood guy doing it as an indie movie though gives me some slim hope though.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Sea Hunt Video

New Sailing Movie

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Russell wrote:I have never seen a good sailing movie . . .
Russell, you should rent "Captain Ron". Excellent movie. A lot of good quotes from an experienced world class sailor. :wink: For example, while approaching a very large ship while on a relatively small sailboat, "don't worry they'll get out of the way. I learned that driving the Saratoga". Also, "if anything's gonna happen it's gonna happen out there". Many more great lines.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I know exactly what you are saying. There may be hope but the trailer didn't look like it presented much. Climbing the mast with no safety line while the boat sits absolutely motionless with no sail set and a storm close at hand that he never seemed to noticed until he was up the mast. No tether on the wrench and wouldn't that have been a job for a pliers anyway? He pulled himself up there very easily for the tackle he had rigged and never seemed to secure it when he got to the masthead. I am thinking the guys on deck had him covered. The VHF antenna connection was completely disengaged? Okay so I am really nit picking here but this seems to set the tone for what the movie might be like. Or maybe some sailors are just clueless, Steve.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:
Russell wrote:I have never seen a good sailing movie . . .
Russell, you should rent "Captain Ron". Excellent movie. A lot of good quotes from an experienced world class sailor. :wink: For example, while approaching a very large ship while on a relatively small sailboat, "don't worry they'll get out of the way. I learned that driving the Saratoga". Also, "if anything's gonna happen it's gonna happen out there". Many more great lines.
Captain Ron is exactly whats wrong with the image of a full time cruising sailor. Combined with lats and atts (before their demise), you have all that is wrong with the attitude of cruising.

But I will admit, I do laugh and have fun watching it, I wouldnt call Captain Ron a "good" sailing movie.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

a great movie that takes place almost entirely on a sailboat is Polanksy's KNIFE IN THE WATER. Its not really about sailing (or is it?) but its a cool little boat...and speaking about movies that take place almost entirely on a boat dont forget Hitchcock's LIFEBOAT.
Ron Churgin
MFC
Hull No.128

Post by MFC »

Ron Churgin wrote:a great movie that takes place almost entirely on a sailboat is Polanksy's KNIFE IN THE WATER. Its not really about sailing (or is it?) but its a cool little boat...and speaking about movies that take place almost entirely on a boat dont forget Hitchcock's LIFEBOAT.
don't forget das boot.

laughed like hell when robert suggested russell should watch captain ron!
Larry DeMers
CD30c #283
Lake Superior

Post by Larry DeMers »

My vote for a good sailing movie..to a point, is "Dead Calm". Takes place in the South Pacific, is the first appearance of Nicole Kidman in a major pix, and the guy that makes you jump out of your seats is played perfectly by Billy Zane in one of his first roles. The movie still causes my wife to jump into my lap a few times, even after perhaps 5 viewings.

Larry DeMers
DeLaMer Cd30
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Post by Warren S »

This looks very interesting Sea Hunt. I'll definitely look for this one.

Another interesting choice might be Deep Water. A documentary about a British weekend sailor who enters the Whitbread (or whatever solo circumnavigation race at the time), who had barely enough experience.

It has a sad ending, but includes interviews with all the players including the other british circumnavigator (Sir Robin sombody-or-other).
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton