CD28 Head Floor Mat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jhetch

CD28 Head Floor Mat

Post by Jhetch »

Hello all,

We are new to the CDOA and have used the forum for information leading up to our recent purchase of DERBY, so thanks to all for your contributions, great site.

During Spring Cleaning I noticed that our head floor mat is beyond repair with some rot and delamination. My plan was to replace the mat with teak and holly to match the rest of the boat. In my search for a replacement piece of 3/4 ply, I find that the smallest anyone would sell me is 4' x 4' which seems like a waste for a 19"x13" part.

My question is, anyone out there interested in having a teak and holly replacement head mat for their CD28? (not sure if other CDs have the same piece) I should be able to make 6 mats out of a 4x4 piece, making it about $30 per piece.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Since I posted I've learned that post 1980 CD28s have a different setup. Guess that limits my target audience :)

Thanks,

Joe and Eileen
Last edited by Jhetch on Apr 26th, '13, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Derby CD28 #267
Dory CD10 #2210
Russell

Re: CD28 Head Floor Mat

Post by Russell »

I bet you can sell the leftovers on craigslist with no problem, as a lot of people find themselves in your situation (need a small peice but have to buy a half sheet).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Post by Ken Cave »

For us Pre 1980 Cape Dory owners, there is a wonderful product out there that does not cost an arm and a leg, easy to use, and really looks good in place.

The product can be purchased at Lowes, and is called Novalis Timber Series and comes in a box of thirty pieces that measure four inches by thirty six inches. All one has to do is cut the material with a pair of good scissors, strip the paper off and set it in place. It comes in different colors, and has a great grain so as not to slip when you have been in the rain (heaven forbid!)

I applied this flooring on my boat years ago, and the stuff really holds up well. It looked so good I even used on one of the walls to cover up a mess of holes the former owner put in.

Runs about $30.00 for a package of this stuff. My suggestion is to purchase a 4 by 4 piece of three quarter inch outdoor plywood and used the above product to cover same. If the cabin floor is also
a mess, use it on that also.

Hope this helps

Ken Cave
Dragon Tale #227 (1979)
Jhetch

Post by Jhetch »

Thanks for the Craigslist suggestion. Should have thought of that since I looked there for material :?

I think we definatly want to go with a wood product.

Thanks again,

Joe
Derby CD28 #267
Dory CD10 #2210
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

On Sláinte, our CD27, we have installed the AirHead composting toilet. We love it, except for the fact that is too tall. I plan to build up the floor in the head area and up to the V berth to raise the floor about two inches. Teak and holly would look very nice there. I cannot get to the boat for another week because of the flood, but when I can get there I'll get some dimensions to see if that would work. If it does i would be interested in buying some of your "scrap". :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jhetch

Post by Jhetch »

Tim

I have a few feelers out for a scrap piece that will fit my needs. I'll let you know if I buy the sheet though.

Joe
Derby CD28 #267
Dory CD10 #2210
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Thanks Joe, be sure to post some pictures. Good luck with the project, it sounds like a nice addition.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Joe and Eileen try Boutor Plywood Somerville mass.They have quite a selection of products to chose from.I believe they will sell you half sheets.
Pete
Jhetch

Post by Jhetch »

Thanks for the replies.

I spoke to Chris at Boultor Plywood and he is one of those keeping an eye out for a piece of scrap that will fit my needs. Nice guys there.

Joe
Derby CD28 #267
Dory CD10 #2210