CD 10 Oars

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

CD 10 Oars

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Last year I bought an old CD 10 and gained some insight on this board (Thank You, Steve Laume) on oar purchase. The preferred oars are from Shaw and Tenny in Orono,MA. But which to get: 7' or 71/2'

Turns out the answer is not the same for all CD 10s. Here is the text from an email from S&T

The CD 10 is a great boat.  Most often our 7' clear spruce Shaw & Tenney
spoons are the right oar for the boat.  If it was built in the last few
years of production the mold was changes and 7'-6" is correct.  If you
measure the span between the oarlocks I can tell.

My CD10 has oarlocks 41" from each other and requires a 7' oar according to S&T.

Next question: open oarlocks semi permanently attached to the boat or ring oarlocks semi permanently attached to the oars?
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Jim Evans

Re: CD 10 Oars

Post by Jim Evans »

Hi Dick,

I went thru exactly your same issue with my CD-10 about a year ago, and worked with Stephen at S&T to get it resolved. My CD-10 is #1396, and it also measures 41" between the aft set of oar sockets. I went with the 7 ft spoons from S&T, and they are great. I had the original ring oarlocks from the P.O., and they are a fine combination with the S&T spoons. I purchased the leather kit from S&T, and installed my own leathers on the oars, which is a fun project.

I'm thinking of buying a second set of open horn oarlocks to set in the forward sockets, so I can rest the spoons while sailing. I'm not sure if that's practical, but I'd like to carry my spoons somehow while sailing in the event I get becalmed. Not sure if there's an easy way to stow the spoons while sailing.
Jim Evans
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Jim and all,

Store your spoons while sailing your CD 10 by making a stand off bracket and secure them upright to the front of the mast.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Steve Darwin

Post by Steve Darwin »

Hi Dick,

I purchased oars and oarlocks for my CD10 from Jamestown Distributors and was very pleased with them. Reasonably priced, too, if cost is a consideration.

PKO-0828DP0PLB PERKO RIBBED HORN OARLOCK 2" PLAIN MAGANESE BRONZE PAIR
HAM-OPLSO-70 OAR 7.0'- CANADIAN SPRUCE VARNISHED

Steve
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Oswego John wrote:Jim and all,

Store your spoons while sailing your CD 10 by making a stand off bracket and secure them upright to the front of the mast.

O J
This is a great idea, much like spinnaker pole stowage but I don't think it would work with the sliding Gunter rig. Stuff needs to move up and down the mast.

I have considered making cradles for the oars and screwing them to the seats. You also want to have a way to lock up your beautiful oars. I bought one of these. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... ing+Device Mine just had the horn so I made up a plywood disk and lock it through a bike cable.

It would stink to come back from a walk on a remote beach and find that you had no oars to row back to the mother ship with. I also lock them in if I leave them in the dinghy when towing it, Steve.