Genoa Furler for CD 36

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jeff Peterson
Jubilee
Galesville, Md.

Genoa Furler for CD 36

Post by Jeff Peterson »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a make/model furler for a genoa for a CD 36?
Russell

Re: Genoa Furler for CD 36

Post by Russell »

I have used most all of them (doing deliveries and crewing on friends boats, not all of them on my boat of course). The two best by far are Schaefer and Harken (with Schaefer getting my vote of the two). Furlex is okay and ProFurl is junk.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Russell wrote:The two best by far are Schaefer and Harken (with Schaefer getting my vote of the two).
Russell:

If you would be willing to do so, can you say why you prefer Schaefer over Harken :?:

This Fall (after "H" season in South Florida) I plan to invest in a new set of sails (main and 120 Genoa) and a new furler. The rigger I will use will install either Schaefer or Harken. I had been leaning towards Harken. I seem to recall they recently came out with a "new" furler that they said was for "cruising". I do not off hand recall the name of the model.

Since I will be single handing (not by choice) I need a furler that is really "bullet proof".

Thanks.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Russell

Post by Russell »

Its mostly personal preference. I will be honest that I just never liked the look of all that black plastic everywhere on boats with a lot of harken gear.

One important point though is the Schaefer furlers have two slots. The "cruising" Harken furlers only have one. Generally one slot is fine, and most cruiser types wouldnt need two, but having the option to fly two headsails for downwind work is something most passagemaking cruisers like to have. You can opt for the racing version of the Harken furlers and get two slots though. But I suspect this isnt something you are concerned about.

I do have a small bit of experience with the new harken cruising furlers, a friend of mine just got one (I made the modifications to his sails for the new luff tape size), and it was much harder to furl his then my Shaefer unit (our boats are the same size and very close in headsail size), but I think his unit is missized, he should have gone up a size, so I wont blame Harken for that, I am sure they both would work equally as well when properly sized for the boat.

If I was buying a new furler right now for myself, I would look very closely at the Harken and Schaefer side by side and compare primarily ease of maintenance. How easy is it to access the turnbuckle for adjustment? How hard is it to take apart the drum assembly and access the inside for cleaning and inspection? The Schaefer is okay, not great, but better then most. I dont know how the newer Harkens are, but if I was buying today I would investigate it and probably base my buying decision on that (and if all things end up equal, opt for the Schaefer to avoid that black plastic look).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Russell:

Thanks very much for taking the time to discuss Schaefer vs. Harken. Very helpful. What I know about furlers you can stick on the head of pin and still have room to square dance. :(

All things being equal, I will probably buy Schaefer but will check with the rigger before making the final purchase. Possibly, the rigger may be able to get a little better price. This is all 5-6 months away until the near the end of "H" season in South Florida. I will also check with the guy who will be making the new sails to see what he recommends. Your advise, based on practical, real world experience, is the most valuable to me. Thanks :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Post by Doug Gibson »

I installed the Harken Mark IV furling model for genoa about 5 years ago and has performed flawlessly despite a number of operator errors that put a lot of stress on the unit (think nasty genoa and spinaker wraps). I'm looking at installing furling on the staysail, and the Harken ESP furler (new cruising line) looks good.

I don't have experience with Schaffer - most catalina owners I've talked to like them (typical factor furling provided). I did have profurl on a previous boat and agree with Russel - a piece of junk!
Doug Gibson
Bob Ohler

I vote "Harken"

Post by Bob Ohler »

I have a Harken, with 2 slots, if that is important to you. Twelve years of perfect service. Never a problem. Schaefer has been synonomous with poor customer service and I speak from experience. If I had it to do it over again, I would definitely select Harken. I avoid Schaefer products at all cost.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Post by Ken Cave »

On our 28 CD, the former owner installed a Harken about 14 years ago. The only thing I have replaced
are the lines!

If you are looking at a new genoa, I suggest a 154. When I purchased the boat, the former owner
had a 132 made by US Sails. I almost sold the boat as it just would not do what I wanted it to do, but I opted in talking to a sails rep for US Sails, and he suggested on making the largest genoa that
the boat can handle.

What a difference this sail has made in our cruising which is about 1000 miles a year! In fact, we hardly use the main. Points well, easy to steer, and will do a decent five knots in a 15 knot wind.

Hope this helps

Ken Cave
Dragon Tale
LaConner, WA
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jeff:

I hope my question(s) do not "hijack" your thread. If so, please advise and I will start a new thread.

Ken:

Thanks for your post. I read a SAIL or Cruising World or similar magazine last year where "experts" were asked questions about what they would change on their sailboats. Don Casey responded and said something to the effect of he would install a smaller Genoa/jib. I think he said about a 120, BUT I AM NOT SURE.

I also know his sailboat is very different from S/V Bali Ha'i (my 1982 Cape Dory 25D). However, if I recall his reasoning correctly (I sincerely apologize to Mr. Casey if I am getting this wrong :!: ) Mr. Casey said a slightly smaller Genoa made for better sail shape because you did not have to furl as soon, easier to handle and did not reduce speed much at all.

Since I will sail solo almost all the time and do not plan on "racing", and I am probably not going to be in a hurry to get somewhere (I am unemployed or retired depending on how you look at life) I thougth a slightly smaller Genoa than what I have now (down from a 120/130 to a 110/120) would make sense. Thoughts by the board :?:

Russell, for what it's worth, I am now back leaning slightly in favor of Harken. I was sailing today on a friend's sailboat. He has a Harken and loves it.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Robert, we have a 170 Genny on our CD27. We have a very old Harken furler that works, most of the time.. 170 is just too much to expect most furlers to handle, but in the light winds of summer that 170 REALLY helps Slainte move. Our problem is that the drum can barely hold enough line to furl a 170. I wonder how one of the newer continuous line furlers would work. Does anyone have one of those?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Post by Ken Cave »

Have you thought of upgrading your Harken to a larger model? The former owner of our boat installed
a model 2 Harken (I believe) which is really for boats in the 36-40 foot range. The drum is larger and
accommodates our line for our large genoa.

Hope this helps

Ken Cve
Dragon Tale
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

I still have the Mark I Harken drum unit, and it's working great! My rigger said keep using it until it stops working, and enjoy a 30 year amortization curve... It works well with a 150 Genoa.

I took the foils apart to replace the headstay, and had no trouble getting the setscrews out. If I tried that with the new red locktite, I might have a different answer.

Harken hardware is worth the additional cost, and having parts readily available long after the model is updated is a great incentive for me.