Restoring CD10

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Restoring CD10

Post by wsonntag »

Stopped by to check out progress on Cape Dory 10 restoration today - hull nicely sanded, variety of hardware holes filled and patched,the funky rub and interior gunnel rails removed, new replacement stock on hand ready for installation. However, it has become clear, the full gelcoat must come off, crazing just too deep. I have never seen gelcoat so think, did they put it on with a trowel? Petrochemical products were not so dear in the late sixties it seems. I've got about 7 coats of varnish on all the seats, we're going to cut a nice figured piece of mahogany to replace the centerboard trunk cap, will order a sailrite sail kit. I'm going to keep the interior psychedelic blue. Should launch in June I hope. She's gonna look sweeeet! Been the family yacht tender since 1968 or 69. Spring commissioning of CD31 starts tomorrow too!
Dick Villamil

Re: Restoring CD10

Post by Dick Villamil »

YUP - I found the gelcoat as thick as the fiberglass causing it to crack instead of flex especially as it dries out over time! I changed the color scheme - since the blue was so bright (it also gets hot in the sun) I changed the non-skid area to a "sand" color and the hull an off white - similar to most Cape Dories. Looks pretty nice as a complement to the wood trim and seats. I put a red bootstripe on it to accent the hull. Do you have a centerboard plug? I plan on making one to keep the water from splashing up the centerboard trunk wehen the boat is fully loaded and in a chop. I also made a Sampson Post to fit in the mast partners so I can anchor while fishing!
wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Re: Restoring CD10

Post by wsonntag »

Thanks for your comments. I want to keep the blue interior because that's how she was made, so its period. I've seen a CD10 re-done sand/tan interior, really looked great with the wooden seats etc, great choice. Never thought about a centerboard plug, we always just kept the board in, so I don't ever remember a problem with chop. I remember actually partially lowering the board while rowing to keep her tracking in a chop. I like the Sampson post idea, might try that. I found the builder plate in my bucket'o parts today, looks like number 200 something so its a fairly early boat. Dropped the plate in a jar of brushing liquid for a few days to loosen up all the gunk on it. I'm really looking forward to varnishing up the new rails etc.

Cheers!