OK, this may sound strange, but...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

joemerchant

OK, this may sound strange, but...

Post by joemerchant »

We are getting ready to pull the engine and genset out of the boat and clean the bilges and repaint all the compartments (The Navy builds a compulsion in people to clean and paint everything) and also the non-skid on the decks and thought about the possibility of using LineX style bed liner since it comes in many colors now. They are painting entire cars in this stuff now and it is amazingly strong and has a great foot hold. I ran across a few places where they state they are starting to use it for marine applications now and it holds very well to fiberglass.

I am pretty sure I want to do the engine compartment in the stuff, but not sure anywhere else. After rebuilding a couple of the bulkheads where the wood has rotted and filling some holes, it seems this stuff would be really good at sealing everything up and a more durable surface long term.

Anyone try it or have any thoughts? I am talking about the multiple part commercial spray-in stuff, not the stuff in a single can that you buy at the auto parts store. There is a company that has been selling on Ebay for a long time that has a 3 gal kit for ~ $150, which is less than just paint.
Russell

Re: OK, this may sound strange, but...

Post by Russell »

I cant help you on the spray on liner stuff, but something in your post caught my eye.

You have a genset in a Cape Dory? What CD do you have? I am assuming a powerboat, but if its a sailboat I am very curious to where it is installed and what model CD.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

The boat is a 300 MS. Genset was installed as a factory option just aft the main engine. It is a 4KW Westerbeke and we plan on selling this one and getting a smaller Next Gen that would be a couple hundred pounds lighter and take up a lot less space. You can see in the picture below where it is installed on the little 30 foot motorsailer. It almost looks like a mirror image of the main engine, but the genset is just visible at the top.
IMG_5651.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paulk

Post by paulk »

As far as non-skid: I have used "Grizzly Grip". Great product. Works well on deck, I used it on my other boat. Comes in fine and coarse and many colors. Will be applying it on my 27 deck soon. Highly recommended. Google grizzly grip.