how to replace a spreader on a typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ipswich

how to replace a spreader on a typhoon

Post by ipswich »

in hurricane sandy one of my spreaders snapped! does anyone have any ideas as to where i can get a replacement and how best to install it? is this an easy task?
thanks!
tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Goldsmith

Re: how to replace a spreader on a typhoon

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

This should help. You'll have to do some measuring, order the right tubing and fabricate the new one.

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat ... num+Tubing
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
ipswich

Post by ipswich »

really? i'd have to fabricate a new one? they don't just make them already constructed?
Randy Capstick
Location: 1980 Ty Weekender, 1984 CD36 Glen Margaret, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by Randy Capstick »

Try Rigrite.
Here is a link (scroll to spreader about half way down page):

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Spartan_Sp ... _mast.html

Good Luck,
Randy
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Based on reports on this board about how long it takes to get orders fulfilled by Rig Rite, I would keep in mind the Dwyer option.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

It is so easy I am surprised you had to ask. The spreader is a simple straight piece of aluminum tubing. It fits into a socket or upon a post on the mast. Lower the mast (one person can do it but two would be better). Remove the broken piece. Measure the unbroken one and go to your local metal supply store and buy a replacement piece of aluminum. Transfer the outer fitting from the broken piece to the new piece. Stick it back into the socket on the mast. Raise the mast - project done.
Have A Nice Day
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

It is a very easy job to replace the spreader. I would not buy a random piece of aluminum to replace it though. There are many different alloys with vastly different strengths and bending qualities. It would be a shame to save a few bucks on a spreader replacement and lose the mast as a result. Some suppliers could probably sell you an appropriate alloy but don't plan on finding it just anywhere.

Dwyer is a very good supplier. They are prompt, professional and easy to work with. The spreader is 3/4" dia X 25 1/2" long with a 1/4" hole drilled 5/8" from one end. You would then need to pull the spreader end from your old one and epoxy it into the new piece. You may need to apply some heat to the old end to release it while pulling with a pair of plies. Set it back up to match the other side and you are done.

If you contact Dwyer they probably already have the Typhoon specs, Steve.
bamabratsche

Post by bamabratsche »

Dwyer sells a complete spreader assembly the same dimensions as the original Typhoon spreader, with the tube and tip pre-assembled, for about 30 bucks:

https://www.dwyermast.com/searchResultI ... ItemID=466

The old spreader tips on mine were completely fused to the tube, and I think $30 from a good supplier is pretty reasonable for something that's going to keep your mast in the air.

The stock length is a couple of inches too long, though--I cut mine down to size with a hacksaw or you can get them to do it for an extra charge. They were very professional and quick to deal with, and everything is laid out clearly on their website. I have ordered some small parts from RigRite and have not had a problem, but if you do a search on this board you will find a lot of horror stories about dealing with them.