Moving to NYC

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Adamhagan

Re: Moving to NYC

Post by Adamhagan »

So much good information here.

Thank you all!
Kind Regards,

Adam
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Lots of good suggestions. City Island is a great place and close in.
I keep my boat further east in Oyster Bay. Really a marvelous anchorage. But its not "exactly close" to Manhattan and the facilities can be pricey. Still, Oyster Bay Marine Center is a first class marina and I've been there 10 years.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Well, you'll be working in Manhattan, but will you be living there too? Anyway, I agree with OJ and recommend one of the marine facilities or yacht clubs on City Island in The Bronx. Personally, I like the Harlem Yacht Club located on the northwestern side of City Island. City Island Yacht Club and Stuyvesant Yacht Club are on the west side too. There are marinas and more yacht clubs on the east side.

If you don't want to deal with any of the bridges and tunnels to get off of Manhattan, there's the 79th Street Boat Basin where you'd have to get a mooring. There's also Chelsea Piers but at their location the boats get pretty beat up at their docks. Seasonal moorings are also available at Pier 25. All three of these locations are on the west side of Manhattan on the Hudson River. We have sat on a mooring as transients at Pier 25. The boat does get knocked around by all of the boat/ship traffic on the Hudson but it settles down shortly after midnight when the excursion boats are no longer running. So if you want to sleep on your boat, you can, but you may not fall asleep until after that last excursion boat goes by. But I think trying to work on your boat, even changing the engine oil, would be difficult during the day while the boat's being tossed around.

If you don't mind dealing with the bridges and tunnels, in addition to City Island, you'll find two marinas in Brooklyn to the south that aren't too far of a drive from Manhattan. There's Marine Basin Marina in Gravesend Bay north of Coney Island. There's also Gateway Marina in Dead Horse Bay, which is south of Coney Island. Gateway Marina is part of the Gateway National Recreational Area which has locations in both NY and NJ. In Sheepshead Bay you'll find the Miramar and Sheepshead Bay yacht clubs.

Across the Hudson in New Jersey there are LOTS of marine facilities including Lincoln Harbor Yacht Club in Weehawken, Shipyard Marina in Hoboken, Newport Yacht Club & Marina in Jersey City, Liberty Harbor Marina in Jersey City, and Liberty Landing Marina, also in Jersey City. Liberty Harbor and Liberty Landing offer the most protection from the sloppy waters of the Hudson.

In Flushing Bay, near LaGuardia Airport on Long Island, off the East River there's Skyline Cove Marina and the Arrow Yacht Club (on the same property), and the World's Fair Marina.

In Little Neck Bay, not too far from the Throg's Neck Bridge you'll find the Cresthaven Yacht Club and Bayside Marina in Flushing, NY.

Anyway, as you can see there are LOTS of places to keep a boat but it all depends on if they have slips/moorings available and how far you're willing to drive to get there. And the list doesn't end here, as you continue eastward on the mainland towards Connecticut or on Long Island there's one harbor after another, each with alot to offer sailors.

Keep in mind that all of the facilities mentioned above sustained damage from superstorm Sandy but are working hard to get everything back in working order for the summer.

-Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Adam,

I got your PM.

By the way, we keep our boat at Lockwood Boat Works off the Cheesequake Creek in Morgan, NJ. The Cheesequake is located at the far southwestern end of Raritan Bay (Lower New York Harbor). It's just a daysail away from most of the marinas/yacht clubs I mentioned in my post above. If you decided to keep your boat at any of them, maybe we could get together on the water somewhere during the summer.

-Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Adamhagan

Post by Adamhagan »

Cathy,

That sounds great, I will be looking forward to it!

Thanks for your help and everything you do for the club.
Kind Regards,

Adam
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Post by Carter Brey »

Adamhagan wrote:After 2 awesome years of sailing the North Carolina Pamlico Sound ( on the wonderful advice of a long time CDSOA member) I will be moving back to NYC this summer.

I have completed two duty stations as an Army dentist and have decided to get out and do another residency in pediatrics at Mount Sinai.

It is in upper east side of Manhattan, so what would be some ideal mooring/slip locations for my CD30 (thankfully, residents get greatly subsidized housing)?

Conditions:
-I will be taking a 75% cut in pay for two years so I won't be pulling up to the fancy place anytime soon...or ever. I have some boat bucks stashed to cover fees for a couple years.
- I will have car access.
- My crew consist of my beautiful wife (who loves sailing), my 6 y/o daughter/first mate, and 2 y/o daughter.
-- The boat is rigged with autopilot and I routinely single-hand.

Any Suggestions?
Hi there,

I've sailed out of City Island for years. It is lined on both sides with yacht clubs and boat yards covering a wide social and economic gamut.

I keep Delphine at Barron's Boat Yard on the east side of the Island. It's a working class yard, no frills. Jason Barron is solid gold and does his best to make your experience good. He can provide skilled repair work of any kind, drawing on a number of local mechanics and craftsmen. He worked very hard to protect the fleet during Hurricane Sandy, which devastated much of that area.

As someone said, City Island is at the narrow funnel end of the Sound which experiences a lot of traffic, both commercial and pleasure. I don't know how many times I've had to interrupt a reverie on a light-wind day for a Chinese fire drill to avoid a tug and barge. And yes, you do get the gold chain crowd with their dulcet Long Island accents and their Bayliners, hogging VHF 16 to ask for a spare jerry can of gas or to badmouth a complaining sailor when they fail to take responsibility for their wake.

However, there are advantages to its position. The gunkholing all up and down the Sound is superb, from Throgs Neck all the way up to great destinations like Oyster Bay, Milford, Port Jefferson, Matituck, Gardiners Bay and Fisher's Island. I grew up on Long Island Sound-- I learned to sail as a boy in Norwalk-- and I still find it to be interesting sailing, especially in the late spring and early fall when temperatures are mild and those fresh northwesters sweep through. Here's a video I made while singlehanding into Manhasset Bay on a good blustery day:

http://youtu.be/cDpTurSMAUs

Not so boring!

You also have the option of continuing through The Race or Plum Gut to Block Island and the waters of New England (The Race is two daysails away), or sailing west down the East River into New York Harbor, an unforgettable sleighride with the ebb through Hell Gate with a jawdropping view of Manhattan, Upper New York Harbor and the Statue of Liberty at the other end. From there you can loop around past the Battery and up the Hudson where there are numerous marinas on both shores. Of course, you can also continue south, under the Verazzano Bridge and into the Atlantic Ocean. Next stop, Portugal.

Carter
AEOLUS

Post by AEOLUS »

I recommend City Island yacht clubs, my own favorite being the City Island Yacht Club. It's the only club there, or in the area, with 24-hour launch service over the entire summer. The folks are friendly and welcoming, and there are several Cape Dory's moored there. Please contact me via email for info.

Webmaster wrote:In an effort to protect the owner of this posting from spammers, the E-mail address has been modified or deleted from this message by the webmaster. Please see the "i" announcement located at the top of this forum titled:

Sticky: Important...regarding e-mail addresses.....PLEASE READ!

Folks, to contact the person who posted the above message, please click on either the "email" or "pm" button below left.

Everybody, please keep the email address in your message board profile up-to-date so that the email and pm buttons will actually work.
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Post by Bob Owens »

I enthusiastically recommend the Harlem Yacht Club on City Island, where I have been a member for 10 years. We have 2 or 3 Cape Dory owners in our club. Our sheltered mooring field on the west side of City Island provides immediate access to the west end of Long Island Sound. We have winter storage on our own property, and a friendly group of mostly sailors as members, some racers, some cruisers. We function as a co-op, and costs are moderate. Contact me by email for contact information.
Bob Owens
Len

Post by Len »

The 79th street marina on the west side has moorings and is easily accesible, but watch out for rats if you opt for a slip. !
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com