deck/hull flange-water seepage.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

matane

deck/hull flange-water seepage.

Post by matane »

Hi Everyone.
I got my survey results, and what I thought might be a problem was not- and something entirely unexpected was.

Primary concern- In the V berth on the port and starboard sides, water seems to leak through the hull/deck joint.
I have read about this on larger CDs. This boat is slipped and has not been sailed in a while prior to this survey.
There has been quite a bit of rain where the boat is located- and water lines can be seen on the sides/walls of the V birth, and. It is in several spots on each side and not coming from the ports. They do need the gaskets replaced- all of them. This guy is thorough and was confident that it was not coming from the ports. The V birth cushion edges were wet in those spots with seepage. This is my primary concern. If water seeps from rain, no telling how bad it could be under sail, heeling and plowing through waves- It seems that the broker will work something out w/owner that this is taken care of. I know some of you are familiar with this- I have only read about it with the larger CDs. How is this problem resolved?

The stuff I worried about? No problems..Chainplates all in great shape- I have the photos. The hull has zero blisters, and
after pressure wash was nice and even-doesn't really need paint.
There is 3/4 inch play up and down- when the rudder is lifted from the bottom-you can see that, at most, 3/4 inch
of the shaft that goes down to the gudgeon. So it lifts a bit off the gudgeon if you lift the bottom of the rudder.
He was not too concerned. The rudder itself was solid, and no delam or soft spots.
Stan W.

Re: deck/hull flange-water seepage.

Post by Stan W. »

Those leaks probably are not from the hull-deck joint itself but, instead, from some of the deck penetrations in that area, such as life-line stanchions, bow chocks, bow pulpits, toe-rail, etc. The sources can be hard to trace because the water tends to run downhill along the bottom of the hull-deck joint flange a ways before it decides to jump off. Systematically rebedding all of the deck penetrations should stop the leaks.
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

It look's like your rounding third and on your way to owning a cd.!
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I agree with Stan that it is most likely through deck fittings. It you end up with this boat, and wind up doing the work on your own I would start by re bedding any through deck fitting that looks added on, not factory. Like a furler fairlead, extra cleat etc. But the stantions would then likely need it too.

Best of luck!
Paul
CDSOA Member
matane

Post by matane »

Thanks for the responses- I'm negotiating regarding this issue so there would be something worked out between me and seller.
Both of you confirmed what I have read- that it is related to toe rail, stanchions and/or deck hardware. he did mention re-imbedding some of the hardware and stanchions from the bow area and back some. Thanks very much.
Keith

Post by Keith »

On the subject of bedding, which is preferred bedding compound or 5200? So far from the people I've asked at marine stores, etc... is seems to be a 50/50 split. There also doesn't seem to be much of a cost differential. Any comments????
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Butyl rubber tape is your best choice and I would Google Compass Marine and read the tutorial. It is excellent advice and the process is fool proof.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Squid

Post by Squid »

Second the move to use Butyl tape (Bedding Tape) ... You can search Defender after you review the discussion.
Glen
S/V SeaEsta
CD 30 MK II, #31
CDSOA Member #1487
Bob Ohler

Matane...

Post by Bob Ohler »

Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Keith

Post by Keith »

thanks Bob and Glenn, I'm checking on the butyl rubber.

Keith
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Your local RV supply house should have the butyl tape much cheaper than the marine supply.
Have A Nice Day
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Your local RV supply house should have the butyl tape much cheaper than the marine supply.
Apparently there are differences in quality. Maine Sail wrote this about his butyl:
This is not the stuff you get from an RV supplier, it is what was used by boat builders such as Sabre and others back when they used to take the time to use a good quality butyl tape.
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I first saw that AFTER I rebedded my sea hood with the stuff you get at RV suppliers :( . I thought I would rip it out and redo with Mainsail's tape, but after twenty minutes of trying I gave up and decided to leave it in place. I think I paid just as much at the RV place, so if I have to do any more I will get his, but I think the stuff I got from my particular local RV store is pretty good :?: . A sea hood doesn't get much movement, so I am going to leave it the way it is. For my lifeline stanchions however, I will go with the good stuff.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

I think if all depends upon the supplier. I bedded everything on the Typhoon with material acquired from the RV supply house and had no problems.
Have A Nice Day
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Maybe RV butyl is good enough, I don't know and only time will tell. Maine Sails butyl is grey and there may be times when color is someones primary consideration.
It's odd, but I have more regrets about the things that I did not spend money on than those I did (and then there are all the things that I did not know about, until it was too late . . .).